Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. we just purchased the stienbeck( spelling not right) and were wondering how hard this thing is going to be. my dad is an exbody man so he has all the skills needed. he was thinking of just screwing it on and taking the screws out as he got that peice. is this a good method? he also doesnt want to cut the wheel wells if he doenst have to. Any help is definitly appreciated

·
Registered
521 Posts
goto www.opelgtmotorsport.com

I have a few "exposed" photos and some early stages of my own flares being attached.

STEINMETZ (You're thinking of the Author.... :)

Those were the actual flares (well, replicas now..) used by the factory backed racing teams in the 70's.

If you want the car to look right, you'll need at least 9" wide rims in front and probably 10" wide in the back. Otherwise it looks goofy with anything less. Look at GIl's GT from OGTS, he has 9" wide in front and 11" wide in back! Look at other GT's with less width....it doesn't look right!) If I could do it again I'd go with 17's instead of 15's too. And YES you WILL have to cut the wheel fenders for clearence. I have 15x9's in front and there was quite a bit of fender I had to cut of to make everything clear lock to lock. The backs arn't as bad but I had to trim some off there too.

Be ____WARNED____: If you go with 15" rims. There is virtually NO source in the U.S. that makes rubber that WIDE (10") anymore. Go with 17's. It's much easier to find rubber that will fit properly. I wish Gil would tell people this.

ALTERNATE SOURCE: 265x50x15, Dunlop GT Qualifier and I think Bridgestone make them in this size too. A LITTLE to high sidewall but it's the next best thing to 285's.

If anyone IS looking for 285x40x15 Yokohama AVS, I finally found a source in Sweden..... but they're expensive.

~k

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
your rims???

hi, notavette. what are your rims on that car that is below your name??? what is the make and model and size????

·
Registered
521 Posts
They are HRE model 525.

Rims are 15x9 front and 15x10 rear.

I might sell in the future for cheap and do 17's.

The rims are the ones OGTS sells. They're nearly $500 apiece.

~k

1 - 4 of 4 Posts