Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
body lean

the car has a noticible lean.I want the car to look level and I hear
that the car needs to be level to install sway bars.

Q:how do I level the car,Ogts does not sell new springs.

thanks

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
instead of raising the lower side to match the high side u could always lower the high side to match the low side, but this is just a suggestion, if it was me i personally would not do that but it is an idea, i would find anthor set of springs off anthor gt and try that first to see if it corrects ur problem.

·
299 Posts
turn the spring in the seat and drill a hole and put a grade 8 5/16 bolt and nut with a lock washer
turn the spring till it is level and do this i should work great

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Just a thought.... Is the panhard bar straight? I've seen body lean after the bar was bent after it was used as a tow chain attachment point. Another thing to check is the front lower a frame. They are weak and if they get bent, you will get body lean.

Check for a cause or you will just end up treating a symptom.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Another thing to think of, is rather than getting new springs (if available) is to put in a matched set of used springs. My GT had a noticeable drop in the rear as compared to the front. I'm not into "lowering" as the car is already low enough as it is, but, I solved the problem by installing a set of rear springs from a Sportwagon. Leveled it right up. VERY easy swap too!
Gene

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You may want to double check the coil springs and see if they are seated correctly in the axle housing or if the plastic inserts for the springs are even there. The inserts are molded to match the spring buckets and the springs are supposed to go in one way, look at the bottom of the buckets and you will see how they are supposed to be installed. Just my $.02

Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd check the spring position first like Ron said. My passanger side wasn't on the axle right and raised that side. A good bump or jacking the car (via the body) may pull them out. I found it changing the wheel brake cylinder.

If that's not the problem, a sagging spring is a worn out spring. There are places that make custom springs or you can find a transplant.

I have an older OGTS catalog that shows springs. Wonder when they quit selling them.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
saggy gt

My gt had the same problem for years, i tried the spring spreaders and tried wedging rubber in different parts of the front leaf spring to no avail. What i finally found out, is that between the lower control arm and on top of the leaf spring is a rubber perchn mounted on metal shim. The rubber was all worn off on the drivers side giving me about a 1 inch lean all the time. once I found a new perch it took care of the whole thing. Hopefully this will cure your problem, if you need a set of springs, i have a set because i bought a new set from ogts back in march, and I have my old ones that are in good condition. Ogts also has the perch's, I got one from them 3 days ago.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lean in front to

I think there are some good ideas that everyone has helped me with..I don't know where to start.

do these photos show any clues? Question :Do I find new coils or get a new perch for the front?

PS:i now realize its the whole right side is down at least a half inch..not just the rear.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops

I meant to say my Whole left side is down 1/2 inch.(.the driver is setting lower to the ground than the passenger).thanks

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
saggy

Yes, the picture on the top right is where the perch will be. If the perch rubber is worn down or gone, it will make the whole car lean. If you wonder about the rear springs, switch the left and right, and that will tell you if it the rear. just remember, after making any changes, you have to move the car a bit so the suspension settles.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perch is ordered

I think the rotten perch is the source of the problem.I ordered one from OGTS .they are $19 used.I noticed a chunk of rotten rubber in the area when i changed the fuel pump last night.(first time for me on any car)

Is it possible that someone could tell me how to install the perch ?

I am a newbie.

ogts said I had to
1-jack the car up
2-take bolt out of lower member
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That is pretty close on how to remove and reinstall the insert. BUT, be very careful, that leaf spring is under tremendous tension. What I have done in the past, and being very careful. Put the front of the car on jackstands at the front jacking points fairly high. Get a hydraulic bottle jack under the attach point of the outboard end of the leaf spring and take the tension off the bolt that holds the spring to the lower a-frame, then slowly remove it. Here is a warning: I almost saw a wrecking yard gofer almost get cut in half by this spring. I needed the a-frame from a wrecker and this guy took on the nut and tried to drive the bolt out. I warned him to get away from the spring just in time. The car was ona stack of wheels and when the bolt came out, the spring hit the ground so hard it rotated the car on its side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm, I think it might be time to seek out a little expert assistance. Messing with a heavy spring under tension could have some undesirable consequences- gotta keep the body parts intact.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
next of kin

since truman is next of kin to bucky..I think I will forward this to my friend
at the shop...a couple hours of pro labor might be worth for a newbies hand.

rebuilding the carb is a better newbie job.

ps: I GOT MY NEW FUEL PUMP ON..OUTPUT IS THE SAME.ogts SAYS ITS NORMAL FOR A FUEL PUMP TO NOT FILL THE FILTER.

I am off to my Kuntry job

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perch for front spring

Problem:Where are the perch bolts located? and excatly where does the perch go?

the problem is I have a downward lean on the drivers side.I believe my perch is the cause..due to rotten rubber and the prior
211,000 miles.

thanks..I plan to take it to a shop to deload the spring and install the perch ..but I know they have never done this on an opel..and this is way out of my league...so I want to see if it is doable.

I bought a used perch form ogts for $19.

I dont think I want to get into shackles..I am low enough ...and believe me..when a truck or suv stops in front of me....I keep my shoulder seat belt loose so I can DUCK under his bumper if I need to.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
The spring perches are inboard of "D", just above where the "A" arms are bolted to the suspension cross member.

Oh, and I don't believe that the spring perches are your problem. They only come in contact with the leaf spring when the suspension is unloaded, so that doesn't explain the sag.

Have you FOR SURE eliminated the rear springs? It is relatively easy to check. Put the car on a level concrete pad (most garage floors should qualify). Lift only the rear of the car so the rear jack points are up on jack stands, and is LEVEL. Is the front now level (by measuring the height to the underside of the wheel wells)? If so, it shouldn't be a problem with the front suspension. My GT was a bit saggy, and it turned out to be a broken rear coil. Your experience may vary.

To confirm, try removing and switching the rear coils. Leave the rear on the jack stands. Lift the differential a bit (under the centre), remove both shocks at the lower mounting and the Panhard rod at one end, and GENTLY lower the differential (be sure NOT to lower so much as to stretch the rear brake flex hose!). The springs should now be easily removed, & compared left to right. Also inspect the spring hats. Try switching the rear coils, and reinstall the Panhard rod and shocks. Does it sag the other way?

Lastly, sagging can be due to a bent front A-arm. But removal requires the disassembly of the front suspension, so you are back to the previously mentioned thread.

HTH

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
suspension lean

Keith and all: what could make my front leaf spring on the left side lean, when compared to the right side.I enclosed a prior
post and why I was persuing a new perch. the lean seems focused around the left front wheel and the fact the back is lower seems to be a compesation to the front spring..thanks as always

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts