Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done metal work or body work on cars before, so I would like some input and advice on doing it myself

My '73 has minor dings and dents but nothing too bad except for the "chin" area up front.

1. Would I be better off having someone do my body work for me, or is it something I can attempt, as a first timer, and expect fairly good results? I realize this is a very general question, but maybe someone can give some advice.

2. For the "chin" area, the lower pan directly under ths battery area and the radiator - does this panel come off? Can it be easily removed and swapped for a new one? I am afraid mine is probably damaged beyond repair.

3. Is leading difficult to do? I have seen a primer on it at the Classic Car Restoration site, and it doesn't look too difficult or too cost prohibitive. Has anyone done this before? Is it too difficult for a first timer? It actually looks like fun.

4. My GT has a fiber glass rear end with flared fenders. I have noticed cracking in the fiber glass at some points, and lines appearing where the fiber glass meets the metal, but no rusting. Any advice on how to smooth out these cracks and age lines?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!!

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Pressed Rat said:

1. Would I be better off having someone do my body work for me, or is it something I can attempt, as a first timer, and expect fairly good results? I realize this is a very general question, but maybe someone can give some advice.

If it is a small dent or rust spot, give it a try. You can always take it to a shop later. ;)

2. For the "chin" area, the lower pan directly under ths battery area and the radiator - does this panel come off? Can it be easily removed and swapped for a new one? I am afraid mine is probably damaged beyond repair.

The "belly pan" is welded in place. the seam is behind the front bumper. Opel GT Source has a nice fiberglass replacement.

3. Is leading difficult to do? I have seen a primer on it at the Classic Car Restoration site, and it doesn't look too difficult or too cost prohibitive. Has anyone done this before? Is it too difficult for a first timer? It actually looks like fun.

I did some lead work back in high school when I was customizing a '48 Ford. It wasn't too difficult. The heat will warp today's thinner sheetmetal and new lite body fillers make that method very obsolete.

4. My GT has a fiber glass rear end with flared fenders. I have noticed cracking in the fiber glass at some points, and lines appearing where the fiber glass meets the metal, but no rusting. Any advice on how to smooth out these cracks and age lines?

Some cracks can be fixed by cutting a vee into the crack and filling it. The 'glass to metal lines may require a layer of 'glass cloth. Blending the paint may be a problem. So if they are minor cracks you may want to live with them until you need major paint work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!! Thanks, Gary! This is exactly what I was hoping someone would do for me - give me good recommendations!
Thanks for taking the time to answer each question individually.

You just confirmed what my friend once told me - If it's broken. try to fix it. If you can't , well, it was broken when you started, so take it to someone who can fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
body work

hey my gt need body work done but from what i have read the cars you guys have the front and rear parts of the car are welded like the belly pan and the rear mine is screwd together they both need fixed and i need help what would you sugest i do thanx for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts