Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a single speed 14 inch electric fan on my GT.
The thought of a two speed via a voltage increase has got me wondering.

I know that the fan is rated at 12 volts 10.3 ampere 1800 cfm.
Normally there designed to handle a 50% increase in voltage before bad things happens.

So with that thought in mind.
A slight increase of voltage say 17v should not hurt the system over a short period.
I'm only going to use the second speed for emergency cool down.

Anyone done something similar?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You know how power required to overcome drag increases as the cube of the velocity? The benefits may not be there even if it doesn't fry.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,606 Posts
Plus the faster the speed, the less time the air has to absorb heat. I wonder at which point the "bow wave" affect comes into play and creates a static air buffer between the fins and the incoming air, thereby reducing heat absorption?

I think you'd get more bang for your buck and time by just putting a Honda 3-row radiator in. Then you'd pretty much double your cooling capacity without over-driving your fan and risking it burning out or tripping fuzes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Are you eliminating the Mechanical fan? I did for along time but at 28V draw it would increase the Idle all the time & with my Radical cam it was a real pain. Put the mechanical back on & only have the electric as back up. My 2 stage fan rarely went to the second stage.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
:)
Are you eliminating the Mechanical fan? I did for along time but at 28V draw it would increase the Idle all the time & with my Radical cam it was a real pain. Put the mechanical back on & only have the electric as back up. My 2 stage fan rarely went to the second stage.
Opels overheat? With my reconditioned radiator and the overflow. It run's about a hundred and seventy six degrees and I haven't installed the fan shroud yet :lmao::lmao:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts