Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!
I have an Opel Ascona B 1.6S Berlina '78, and I am a bit "unsatisfied" with my brakes performance. The pedal travels a bit longer (1/2" to 2/3") than it should before the brakes catch, and I need to use considerable force on it to get satisfactory decceleration. In addition in one every about 20 uses of the brakes, the pedal feels better - it catches earlier, and lower amount of force is needed. The pedal free travel is within specs, my pads and linings are ok, rotors good, drums properly adjusted, and I recently changed the master cylinder with a brand-new one, but it hasn't solved the problem. I don't say that my brakes are not good, they can always stop the car, but I think that they should perform better. In addition I have noticed the following:
when the engine is idling, if I repeatedly pump the brake pedal (about 3 times per second) the engine revs up a bit, about 50rpm. When I stop pumping the pedal, the idle speed returns to normal.
Has anybody else had the same "issue"? I am not loosing any brake fluid.
Should I suspect a slightly torn booster membrane? I haven't really searched the cause enough due to little time available, so I am collecting some opinions before starting the procedure...

·
328 Posts
same thing

I have the same problem with my 74 manta. I just got it a few months ago and the brakes were all seized. I have replaced all lines, calipers, rear cylinders and I think the master cyl is working properly. If I pump the pedal fast the engine rpm goes up a lot. I have checked the vacuum hoses and the check valve and everything is in proper order. Before I replace the brake booster can someone tell me that this has happened to them and what the fix was Before I spend a small fortune on a booster?

·
1,712 Posts
This condition is normal booster operation , you are using up all res. vacuum in the booster & the eng. is refilling the booster , therefore
the eng. idle changes. The test for brake booster is to apply the brake
pedal ( with eng. off ) untill you get a hard pedal & with your foot still
on the pedal ( donot let up ) crank the eng. & pedal should go down.
This would be the normal operation & test for the booter diaphram leaks
& operation . check for slow fluid leaks or air leaks in your brake sys.
Hope this helps , guyopel :)

·
Opeler
127 Posts
brake booster

My 70 just started to give me a problem with the brakes. The red light has come on and when I apply the brakes the engine accelerates about 2,000 rpm. I know it has something to do with the booster because I'm not getting any power assist. Are these things rebuildable or would it be easier to find a replacement?:ugh:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
First off, I would check the master cylinder reservoir. The lite coming on in the dash indicates a differential pressure between the front and rear brakes. Also there could be a leak at one of the wheel cylinders/calipers. Best to check out why the lite is coming on first, then fix the problem. It sounds like the booster is doing its job, but is moving more than normal, which is the reason for the engine speed increase. HTH.

·
Opeler
127 Posts
I don't see a leak and the reservoir has not changed since I redid the brakes about 2 years ago. It's only been within the last month that the light has come on and all of a sudden today,I do not have power assist for the the brakes. I've been trying to determine why the light was on, but the brakes seem to be working fine. Correction - engine goes up about a little over a 1,000 rpm and not 2,000.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
When my booster went bad the symptoms were a little different. Engine would idle and run fine until I hit the brake comming to a stop. With the foot on the brake the engine died. Take foot off of brake -re-start engine and everything is fine until I hit the brake again then the engine dies. Replaced booster and every thing back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts