Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to it and made a bell housing for a Borg Warner T-50 5 speed out of an Omega/Vega. Since it is not possible to just make an adapter I had to make this one from scratch. It all went well but the chamfer at the end of the input spline is a little different and will have to make a spacer ~1/16". Has anyone else ever got to the point of making the intermediate length drive line or mounted one in a car, didn't see any posts?

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
That seems VERY long in total, and VERY VERY long to the shifter. What is it going into?

As for Borg-Warner T-50, There are several threads here:

A more recent 5-speed option discussed is the Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T-5, using an adapter plate:

Please tell us more about your T-50

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will go into a 73 GT, the shifter is about 7 inches behind the original location which isn't a terrible location. The next odd thing to figure out is a compatible clutch disk that takes the 10 tooth input spline but not a scarry prospect. Picked this T-50 up for $75 a while back and it has just been sitting. With slightly less weight and near same gear ratios as the Getrag it is a good option, but a lot of work. I just love that is still has the R up left and 1st down like the stock transmission.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Your shifter being 7" back is a big deal in my books.

Cool project. Hope things work out.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It almost looks like you don't need a drive shaft at all, just a universal joint between the slide and pinion yokes.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be really nice to have the compatible spline for the clutch and drive line. Using the T-50 I would still need a middle driveline, assuming the joint from the torque tube would move the transmission up and down without one. I will have to search around and see if I can find a T-5 on the cheap. There are nice brackets mid way on the T-50 which would allow mounting a linkage to move the shifter forward easily. Do you expect the two transmissions to bolt up the same?

·
Detritus Maximus
2,313 Posts
Not sure if there is compatibility, but as I recall the T5 in the Astro van had a shifter mounted further forward than the S10 T5.

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
The S10 R5 has the shifter the farthest forward. The Astro van is close, but I believe back just a little bit. Plus not an easy find. The clutch splines are the same as Opel, as why we like using the S10 clutch in our cars. The rear spline is the same as the automatic Opel transmission

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
I assume Keith Lundholm means "T-5" not "R-5"...

It would seem that an S-10 (or S-15) T-5 (non-World Class so it has the Chevy not the Ford bolt pattern) would be the best of all worlds. Should fit your bell housing, same clutch disk splines as either an Opel 8" or S-10 9" disk, good shifter position and easily modified to have a short lever, can be modified with different gear ratios.

Just needs an Opel automatic yoke, or a donor yoke from said S-10, or the Getrag-compatible Spicer yoke, available brand new, welded to an Opel driveshaft.

Here's a useful link or two and a photo or three:

Attachments

Reactions: Vincent

·
Detritus Maximus
2,313 Posts
I just did the checking I should have done in the first place....Astro T5 shifter is about 2.25" further back than the S10.
The S10 R5 has the shifter the farthest forward. The Astro van is close, but I believe back just a little bit. Plus not an easy find. The clutch splines are the same as Opel, as why we like using the S10 clutch in our cars. The rear spline is the same as the automatic Opel transmission
I thought I had posted a correction to that last night. I apologized for posting before confirming and was relying on my memory of an old thread.
Anyway, I found the same pics as are posted above. Astro shifter is 2.25" further back than the S10. It has the same spline count as the S10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgive the barbaric display. Didn't get around to hitting the road in search of a T-5 so I tried my hand at moving the shifter forward 7" to the stock location. It was critical to keep the linkage as low as possible as to not interfere with the top of the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Did it work?

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
You obviously got fab skills, but you are trying to make something work that is the equivalent on shoving 10lbs of crap in a 5lbs bag. That transmission is huge, and long. The S10 T5s are all over the place. The bell housing you made will probably not go to waste, as the ears of that transmission look to be the same as the GM.

·
Living in the past
2,298 Posts
I used a 5 speed Chevette bellhouseing when I put the S-10 transmission in my GT it bolts to the back of the CIH block and needs no adapters. The top two bolt holes do not line up with the bolt holes in the block, but the other 4 and the two dowl pins line up perfectly. If you want to use the top holes you simply make two Z brackets, thread the bellhouseing holes and secure the top of the bellhousing with them. I drove it two years without the two top bolts and had no problems, of course I used loktight on the bellhouseing bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It works great, nice and rigid, functions the exact same as the original shifter. I will try and get both transmissions to try them out. Will look for the chevette housing in case the built one doesn't work. I still have some doubts the T-50 will clear everything, just really like the design and function of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
For the T50 there's an AMC Eagle clutch disc from @1983 that will work with the S10 pressure plate and has the right splines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts