Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good source for the Bosch Red coil? Only place I found was racetep ($45 I think). Anyone know how the pertronix coils compare to the red bosch, and whether any of their models use the resistor wire?

Todd

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but I actually need it for the drive out I'm afraid. We'll see.
Bugstuff is located less than an hour from me, actually. I'm a moron for not thinking of them first.

Thanks
Todd

PS: 25 days is going to go by TOO fast.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Just get a "tan-top" coil

neuropel said:
Does anyone know of a good source for the Bosch Red coil? Only place I found was racetep ($45 I think). Anyone know how the pertronix coils compare to the red bosch, and whether any of their models use the resistor wire?

Todd
Talk someone out of a stock "tan top" Bosch coil. This non-resistor coil was spec designed by Bosch for Opel engines and uses resistor wire while running (stock setup - '69 on) and bypass wire during start-up (hotter spark). Red coil is overkill on 4 cylinder engine, even "street" modified or running MSD-5.

MSD-6A is definitely overkill and costs twice as much as MSD-5. If you're REALLY concerned with accidental overrevs, buy the Bosch rev-limiting rotor (5800, 6500, 7100) from a 914 site.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I ended up winning an auction and got a new Red Bosch for $28. They go for $45 normally...I'm happy :)
It probably is overkill as you say, but it's a nice drop in replacement for stock.
With this coil and a pertronix, any recommendations on spark plug gap? I'm thinking at least .035 now?

Todd

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Red coil wiring

neuropel said:
Well, I ended up winning an auction and got a new Red Bosch for $28. They go for $45 normally...I'm happy :)
It probably is overkill as you say, but it's a nice drop in replacement for stock.
With this coil and a pertronix, any recommendations on spark plug gap? I'm thinking at least .035 now?

Todd
IMPORTANT!!!: Leave resistor wire in + side of coil circuit . . . i.e. use "stock" (2 wire) plus side wiring for red coil. Power Pertronix with switched full 12V source, not just to coil + side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts