Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an experience mechanic, but I thought replacing the starter motor should be simple enough...

I was able to get the top bolt and bracket off that hold the starter out except for the bottom one. I was not able to get good access to it so I was using a socket wrench extender to get it from the other end. Once I backed the bolt out a bit the socket became wedged in and stuck. I finally got that back off and tried it from the bottom with a wrench, but with all of the lines in the way there was not much room to maneuver.

All of the books show the engine already out of the body. Surely that is not necessary.

Am I missing a tool or a technique?

Thanks,
Dave

'72 GT

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
try using the search feature, many people have had this same problem. a impact swivel is a handy tool to have along with a shallow well 17MM socket and a 8-10 inch extension. a impact swivel is a type of swivel that cannot bind, it is sort of a ball-socket setup and works great for things like these.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Try it this way, put the top bolt and bracket back on, loosen the bottom bolt so you can take it out with your fingers. With the weight of the starter on the bottom bolt it binds up and his hard to get out. With the weight of the starter on the top bolt it should be easier to remove the bottom bolt. HTH
Ron

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
When dealing with the starter bolts, it can also help to pull the starter forward as you loosen the bolts. This prevents the socket, wrench, or bolt head from binding against the starter.

·
299 Posts
hey i dont have a pic but i modified a craftsmen 17 mm crome short socket to pull mine
i hoooked it up to my drill and put it to the grinder to make the top narrower and it worked great
and its still strong i use it everyday at work with an impact so it is a nice solution

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll I was about to grind down my socket when I tried taking all of the bolts out except the bottom one and easing the starter out while loosening. It worked fine.

Somehow in the process I lost one of the nuts that holds the bracket to the starter, so I guess I will be buying some metric nuts...

After getting it back together I realized that I had not solve my orignal problem of the starter not disengaging. The clue the I picked up now is that the starter is running constantly, so I guess it is electrical in nature.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will now do a search on starter electrical problems.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If your starter ir running constantly, you have one of two problems. The first and easiest is the solenoid is sticking and not allowing the spring inside to retract the contact piston. For a fix, disassemble the solenoid and clean it out, making sure the piston slides easily inside the solenoid housing. Second, a wiring problem at the solenoid connections. Try swapping the small wires on the solenoid. One wire puts power to the solenoid causing the contact piston to connect battery power to the starter motor and the other small wire that puts power to the coil. It shouldn't work that way, but it might. Trons do funny things.

Ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I just replaced the starter/solenoid with a rebuilt one hoping that it was simply mechanical. Unfortunately it did not help.

I don't think the wires were reversed, although I could check. I'm wondering if the starter is kept on after the key moves out of the start position and where that would happen. Is this something in the steering column?

I am seeing articles about putting in a relay. Is this an addtional part or are people replacing a worn out part?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dave, I'm trying to remember what the wires are that hook up to the solenoid, but I think the small wires are to energize the solenoid and the other is to put battery voltage to the coil. If the wires are reversed and I'm only guessing here, the resistor coil wire would possibly power the solenoid to make it be continually engaged. It would also make that resistor wire hot enough to melt and then you'll have a mess because it could take out your whole fuse panel. Been there, done that, but don't know why it happened. The relay you're referring to, I think is the Otto Start setup that a member of another list serv builds up. It basically uses the relay to send the high amps to the starter solenoid instead of the ignition switch. I've got one and am going to use it and probably some more on my V-6 mod. HTH.

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts