Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this site....I had a 68 Opel Kadet in
High School...I recently came a cross a 70 GT 1900 S ( the 1900 S is on the back between tail lights) with a Vinyl Top and Luggage Rack..I'm in the process of stripping it down for body work and painting...I want to keep it original (except for the Luggage Rack) My question is.. was the Vinly Top a Dealer Option or did they mass produce these cars with these tops.. I have not been able to find one picture on any site with a Vinyl Top....

The Vin# is 942261579 Color# 508 781..If someone could Identify a site that I could run the VIN # I would appreciate it..

Thank You,

Charlie

·
2,054 Posts
Vinyl Top Option

I would have sworn that the vinyl top was a dealer option - probably to cover up paint damage from stack ash or hail damage.

But I'm looking in the sales brocure and right there, in writing, "VINYL ROOF COVERING: (Rallye, 1900 Sport Coupe and 1900 Sport Sedan only)".

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
GT top

The GT never had a vinyl top as an option, not from the factory, or the dealer. I was just a "custom" thing that was all the rage (read fad) at that time. Charles Goin had a GT with just such a top. It too had a luggage rack, and to further add to what might turn out to be his old GT, his was "fireglow" I think. Correct me if I'm wrong Charles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for your response...I did not think the dealer would have done it, it look to
original with the chrome bands on the top...I had only one letter S on the back...I wonder if it had SS for Sport Sedan, of just the 1 Letter S...I will need to get my hands on some brocure's..

Thanks Again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts