Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of rebuilding my brakes. After removing the master cylinder and brake booster, I noticed fluid inside the housing of the booster. I know this is NOT a good thing.
The master cylinder is going to be replaced with the NAPA unit.

Now my questions:
Has anyone ever cleaned the inside of the booster?
Any hints on how to get rid of the traces of fluid in it?
Am I going to need a new booster unit?

:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
most likely you had a bad seal and leaked fluid into the booster diaphram area. I would replace the booster and the master cylinder since if you clean it there is no way to tell if the vascules have been damaged.

--------------------------------------------
JB
gtbrake_man

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vascules ???

Yes, indeed the M/C had a bad seal. That's reason for replacing it. What are the vascules?:confused:

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
409 Posts
I belive he means the booster diaphragm. He is saying there ain't no way to check if the diaphagm will leak or not. And he suggest that you replace it with a new one. Which is very sound advice.

I however simply wiped mine with a clean shop rag (careful not to damage the diaphragm) and slapped it back together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vascules are the differential chambers that make up the diaphram. I'm an engineer so I tend to speak a little weird.
But in any event, brake fluid eats up the seals and just about everything else inside so you can clean it now and replace it later or, do the job properly and be done with it.

I design braking systems for race cars and the Opel is a good candidate for an upgrade if you have a few horses under the hood.

:D JB
gtbrake_man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts