Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to piece back together the various vacuum lines on my 1969 Opel GT. I am a bit stumped by the following:
1. The car has the 4speed manual but the brake booster has three outlets: one for the booster hose and two 3/16” OD nipples. Shouldn’t a manual car have only two fittings, one for the booster and one for the timing retard? Is this a replacement part? The PO had tubes running fm these fittings to the small hole on the valve cover and the other is a rubber braided line to a fitting on the manifold just below the carb on the side closest the driver.

I know this set up is wrong. I will run a new hose fm the fitting below the booster tee to the valve cover. This leads to my other question. 2. I can’t get the 7/16 ID hose to fit over the 9/16” nipple and anything bigger won’t press fit into the hole on the valve cover. What is the trick? What do I run to the fitting on the inside of the carb?

Attachments

·
UngerDog
1,284 Posts
You are correct that the intake vacuum fitting on a GT with a manual transmission should only attach the brake booster hose and one other hose (the smaller distributor retard tube). A car with an automatic transmission would have another nipple for the AT modulator.

All of that info can be found http://www.opelclub.com/TuneUpPart1bJune2006.pdf

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
As you may have figured out, you have confused the large brake booster hose with the other "vacuum" hoses that connect to the intake manifold and carb. The Opel GT Source .pdf is your best resource, but go ALL the way to the bottom. You apparently have a 1973 intake manifold, as the metered orifice for the PCV system (the small hole in the valve cover) is on the inboard side on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. The weird thing is that the manifold appears to have both the 1969 and the 73 fittings. Maybe I am misidentifing it or dealing with some ill advised modification by a PO. I suppose the course of action is to just to cap all the extraneous fittings, leaving the brake booster hose and one for the PCV orifice on the valve cover. See attached photos. The small elbow is on the inboard side of the carb. Apologies for the layer of Mojave grime still on the engine; it is the devil to remove.

Attachments

·
Opeler
2,925 Posts
Apologies for the layer of Mojave grime still on the engine; it is the devil to remove.

:no: That is patina. It adds value to our vehicles!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts