Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HA HA

Ok, you've convinced me. Ill drop the front end. Im replacing the bolts for the control arms anyway. They are on backorder at gtsource. Besides, Im sure it will be so much easier to change out the boots on the ball joints and tie rods with the thing out too.

Speaking of front ends and brakes, I read that I shoudl NEVER take apart the calipers. Is this correct? And if so, why?

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
calipers

They are no fun to put back together, no fun at all. I';; sick to starters, generators, and alternators, and let the professionals repair the hydraulic system that may see 3000# of pressure and that my life depand upon daily. I'm a little funny though.

The brake work you need to do might be easier with the front end out too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't really trust myself opening up any brake lines either. I have a couple of guys who I have bleed and change my brake fluid. I don't mind changing pads and rotor or shoes and drums, but when it comes to hydralic fluid I'm the same way.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The seals that go between the two halves of the caliper are supposedly not available. I've not tried to cross to another part but I'd expect something could be found.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
Yes, I've looked for new seals for the caliper halves. They're metric ID and OD, and are square-cut in cross-section (not round), plus they have to be able to withstand brake fluid. I've been able to find the correct size, but so far not the correct material. Off the record, I've rebuilt and split apart many calipers. I devised a method that, so far, has not leaked. One critical bit is the proper torque spec on the bolts retaining the halves....they are a stretch once-and-replace type bolt. I won't go into specifics on HOW to rebuild them using the old seals (liability rear it's ugly head), but it IS possible to do.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts