Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that you should not separate the brake caliper halves because they have a seal that cannot be easily sourced. I bought caliper rebuilt kits (Centric 143.36001) and they have a small rubberish seal in them. (see attached photo)

Is that what this small seal is for? It came with 2 per caliper. Otherwise, can someone tell me where it would go?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
4,906 Posts
I have heard that you should not separate the brake caliper halves because they have a seal that cannot be easily sourced. I bought caliper rebuilt kits (Centric 143.36001) and they have a small rubberish seal in them. (see attached photo)

Is that what this small seal is for? It came with 2 per caliper. Otherwise, can someone tell me where it would go?

Thanks in advance!
I am not certain but they might go on the two pins that allow the caliper halves to slide. I would not split the caliper even if they are the seals, you would be asking for trouble IMHO.

Edit: Might be totally wrong...these calipers have a piston on both sides don't they?

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
The smaller seals are for sealing the two caliper halves if you separate them. I don't typically separate them when doing a rebuild. The bolts use an odd Torx style head. Not the easiest bit to find.

Harold

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
............... The bolts use an odd Torx style head. Not the easiest bit to find.

Harold
Those are a special Opel bolts you could name them a double Torx but they are actually a triple square. That type of bolt is also used for the cylinder head bolts and maybe in more places.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Yes, these seals are the separate-the-calipers seals. Even if having the seals, I would still not split my calipers, it is not necessary for any reason. If you re-polish the insides of the pistons, you can do it in the assembled state (or your wife or kids if you have elephant-sizes fingers), and there is just too much chance something else goes wrong, and if it is that you strip the screw heads or even break the screws off while you are trying to remove them. Steel screws in cast iron tapped holes? Leave them alone!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
Those are a special Opel bolts you could name them a double Torx but they are actually a triple square. That type of bolt is also used for the cylinder head bolts and maybe in more places.
I have triple square bits (Lisle, Snap On & Performance Tool) and none of them fit very well. Opelspyder found a Torx Plus that seemed to fit.

Harold

P.S. Most of the German car manufacturers used triple square bolts in various places.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, these seals are the separate-the-calipers seals. Even if having the seals, I would still not split my calipers, it is not necessary for any reason. If you re-polish the insides of the pistons, you can do it in the assembled state (or your wife or kids if you have elephant-sizes fingers), and there is just too much chance something else goes wrong, and if it is that you strip the screw heads or even break the screws off while you are trying to remove them. Steel screws in cast iron tapped holes? Leave them alone!!!
Ha, I will leave them alone then. Good to know I'm not leaving out a seal somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
they were German built? because my Ford was a Taunus, built in Germany
From Wiki:
The Ford Pinto engine was the unofficial but generic nickname for a four-cylinder internal combustion engine built by Ford Europe. In Ford sales literature, it was referred to as the EAO or OHC engine and because it was designed to the metric system, it was sometimes called the "metric engine". The internal Ford codename for the unit was the T88-series engine. European Ford service literature refers to it as the Taunus In-Line engine (hence the TL codenames) and the Lima In-Line (LL)

It was used in many European Ford cars and was exported to the United States to be used in the Ford Pinto, a successful subcompact car of the 1970s, hence the name which is used most often for the unit.
Harold

·
Opeler
718 Posts
Anyone know if the rebuild kit from CENTRIC part # 14336001 is the correct one? Rock auto has it listed for the GT and I see sgtfroggy used the same kit as well.

Thanks

David

·
Opeler
718 Posts
So the Centric kit # 14336001 IS NOT the correct kit for the GT. The inner bore seal is to large, maybe its for later manta with larger brakes. Does anyone know of a part number for the CORRECT kit or where to buy besides OGTS? Any insight is appreciated

David

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
Is it a 45mm?

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
So the Centric kit # 14336001 IS NOT the correct kit for the GT. The inner bore seal is to large, maybe its for later Manta with larger brakes. David
You have the correct part number for the 1.9 calipers. Notice I said 1.9 instead of GT or Manta. Their pistons are the same size, the difference is the pad is larger on the '75 series cars. I've used the Centric kit you've listed and try to keep them on hand in case I need them.

The 45mm pistons were in some of the older calipers used in the 1.1 engine Opels. I believe there is a thread somewhere that Opelspyder started detailing the differences.

Harold

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
You have the correct part number for the 1.9 calipers. Notice I said 1.9 instead of GT or Manta. Their pistons are the same size, the difference is the pad is larger on the '75 series cars. I've used the Centric kit you've listed and try to keep them on hand in case I need them.

The 45mm pistons were in some of the older calipers used in the 1.1 engine Opels. I believe there is a thread somewhere that Opelspyder started detailing the differences.

Harold
Rockauto lists that part number for the 1.9's. I think that's where the confusion is.

·
Opeler
718 Posts

Harold
Harold,

Alright I'm confused, so are you suggesting I have non factory calipers? I tried like heck to install the inner bore seal but it was too big. When I compare it to the old seal there is a significate difference in size. The outer dust seal seemed to be the correct one though.. :ugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
Harold,
Alright I'm confused, so are you suggesting I have non factory calipers? I tried like heck to install the inner bore seal but it was too big. When I compare it to the old seal there is a significate difference in size. The outer dust seal seemed to be the correct one though.. :ugh:
IIRC, the 1.5L cars may have gotten the 45mm pistons. Regardless, find some newer GT calipers to rebuild. The ones with 48mm pistons. Is there a 45 cast into the side of the caliper? I thought they were all the same until I got into the same situation you did back in the 80's. Upgrade, you'll be glad you did. Either buy new from OGTS or see if someone has some good used ones you can rebuild with the larger pistons.

Harold

1 - 20 of 26 Posts