Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while I have my 72 GT running in almost tip top shape, I have finished rewireing the entire car. Which I don't want to do again if anyone else has done, it sucks(at least it sucked for me). Now all of my gauges work except the speedometer which is driving me up a wall-any ideas?
My other problem is my right rear break drum or the compontents inside is leaking break fluid. My guess is the break Cylinder but I am having problems getting inside the break drum to get a look. How do I get inside?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure on speedo, other than the cable broke/cut/not attached at either end.

Drums do come off the car. They are probably rusted to axle. Need a lot of liquid wrench or other rust penetrator and a big rubber mallet......

Mine were so rusted i was half tempted to cut the drums off. even the pads rusted to the drums...

once the drums are off the rear brake cylinder will be exposed. if it is leaking the internal plugs or the cylinder might be rusted/pitted.

They can be looked at in detail by removing pads/springs/etc then pull off rubber boots/plungers on rear cylinder and the push out the internal pieces. two plugs, two rubber seals and a spring.

you will need to buy new parts then do the whole brake bleeding thing so plan on a long afternoon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts