Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I had the GT all rode ready, new paint and everything. Driving to the airport to surprise my dad with, I pushed in the brakes and it went all the way to the floor..and the red light on the dash came on...how fun, had to drive with the emergency brake. Thought I had a cut line or something. Check the fluid..all was full. Proceeded to bleed the brakes. Back brakes went fine. Got to the front, and the fluid would just dribble out of the nipple. Took the nipple totally off, and fluid shot out..thought the nipple was bad..it isn't, can blow thru it just fine. Even rebled the MC. I am at a loss. Fluid going from the MC thru the lines thru the caliper, but will not engage either front brakes, floor the brakes and the tires will just spin..and this was an all of a sudden thing..one light had perfect brakes, next none (and talk about a pucker factor.....). Maybe an air leak somewhere?? but no fluid leaking. Can the MC be sending fluid, but not enough pressure to engage the brakes? Help...

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
you may have a seal in the M/C turned the wrong way or split so it would move fluid with no pressure but bypass under load because of the 2 ideas above

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..that's what I was afraid of. I just replaced the MC about 6 months ago, but I couldn't tell you how long it sat before I installed it. It was new from NAPA, but I got it with the car from the PO. Bright side is I've already done this, so it should go pretty quick...bad side, I just car the car paint so need to be careful not to get fluid on the paint. Any suggestions on a place to get one..I know OGTS, but theirs are a little spendy.

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Buy a rebuild kit from OGTS and do it yourself

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Kevin in the bottom of one of those boxes is all the seals for a MC. I got one not long ago from Checker that wasn't expensive. Then again the one I took off my car was good but not enough for the brake upgrade I did. CSK is showing stock on them again at 39 bucks, that's the full deal with the bench bleed adapters, 10 dollar core.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, where are you finding that? I go to cskauto.com, and the only one is 176 bucks.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
If you want it now we can trade. I have one here. BTW I have a tax exempt company accout I use there with a 10 to 15 % discount. Every little bit helps

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Just Wondering, does the bolt on the side come out for the red dash light switch installation?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks dave, but no biggie. It'll be here tues. I got my daughter and parents in town, so we will be busy all weekend anyway.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The differential pressure switch may have to be swapped out if the replacement doesn't have one installed. Just don't loose the copper crush washer if you have to remove it.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
see, if you would have turned your head for a sec......and left the back of the truck unlocked.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the new MC in..again, and that was definitely the problem. In fact, the brakes are alot better than what they were before I lost them..so I assume that the MC was bad from the beginning, then finally just gave way. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts