Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy

hi my name is Blaine and im from regina, sask,canada. i own a 1972 Opel gt. I recently restored the car. it has new paint (orange with single black stripe) and new stereo. you will be able to see it soon on my web site. http://www.freewebs.com/german70/opelgt/htm

also i am currently looking for new front brake lines for my gt. any info would help thanks

·
Opeler
18 Posts
If you are referring to the metal brake lines, they are metric but you should still be able to buy them in various lengths at most brake shops. Bring an old line and fitting to compare with the new line/fitting. You can buy or rent a flaring tool and pipe bender at reasonable expense.

·
Super Moderator
5,992 Posts
Brake Hoses and Rotors

Regarding the brake lines, I assume you are talking about the front flex hoses. They are the same as the single rear hose (well, they weren't from the factory, but are the same connections and almost the same length. One size fits all). When you replace the front, do the back as well, as they swell up internally and block the flow of fluid, even though they might look OK.

You might get them locally at an AutoValue or NAPA (there is a RayBestos number, but it is just recently became obsolete), but if you search this forum, you will find a thread that one of the Canuck members found some NOS, but they were quite pricey. Much cheaper, and readily available, at Opel GT Source, at

http://www.opelgtsource.com/

Which should be your first stop for most stuff that isn't available locally.

Speaking of which, I just bought two new brake rotors from my local AutoValue. They were made by Aimco (#3438, which I have been told is a good quality brand), were here in less than two weeks, and were only $24.01 CANADIAN!!! That's about $15 USD, compared to $38 USD at OGTS. And shipping would have been $18 USD per rotor. So, as I have said, check the OGTS site catalogue first, then look locally. Buy cheap, but if possible, support our friends at OGTS

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Get in the zone....Autozone!
Why isn't anyone just going the simple route and buying the metal brake lines from a local autozone?? They have several different lengths and are already flared with fittings intact. Most expensive line I bought was like $6!! They have connectors also so you can run it to the back.....
I recently did my very first full brake line replacement and it was not a big deal. Cost was inexpensive and the actual bending is pretty easy. My front suspension was completely out which gave me room to work and my new metal lines are intact just as the old ones were.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i don't think canada has autozones, at least none i've seen, we have part source... but they're not as good, mostly accessories and filters there

·
Super Moderator
5,992 Posts
simplemind7 said:
i don't think Canada has autozones, at least none I've seen, we have part source... but they're not as good, mostly accessories and filters there
PartSource is a just a fancy Canuck Tire store (owned by Canadian Tire). Mostly "stick-on performance parts" :eek:

But we do have AutoValue, which is where I bought my rotors. They listed the brake hoses, but as I said, they were cheaper from OGTS

·
Opeler
66 Posts
Photo proof / need HELP! Please!

In case anyone is doubting changing out brake lines even though they look good, here's a photo of my flex lines. PO only changed out one of the three. We thought that there was a problem with the passenger front brake, because it pulled so badly....turns out, that was the only brake that was working!!!!
But in the process of rebuilding the brakes, discovered a frozen piston on the driver's front outboard caliper. Tried to free piston, but only managed to snap the crown off the piston. Does anyone have a spare piston?
Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Ned;
The pistons are the same for the standard or 75 big brakes. I know as I have both sitting on my desk right now and I can drop either one into either caliper. I don't think even Gil sells just the piston, so try www.car-part.com and get a complete caliper for as cheap as possible and that should get you going.
Gene

·
583 Posts
Piston

I have a single caliper laying on the garage floor. Send me your address and it's yours. I'll even "throw in" a good brake rotor and hub if you want it.

Write me.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
BQS4 said:
Ned;
The pistons are the same for the standard or 75 big brakes. Gene
They are interchangeable but I don't believe they are the same. The rim facing the pad on the earlier models has a lower area in it that matches raised places in the shims between the piston and the pad and the later '75 style doesn't. But they are interchangeable for sure.

Anal retentive is the term I believe. :D
Harold

·
583 Posts
You're right.

Hey Harold,

I believe that you are correct, sir. However, in this case, the caliper and rotor that I have are the 71-74 GT/Manta units. It's the smaller caliper and rotor. This one is universal between models as far as pistons go, I think.

What's new with you? How are the kids?

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Brake lines enter calipers at top on Manta's and at the bottom on GT's.

Two daughters and it's prom time. Nuff said!

Will PM you later!

Harold

·
Senior Contributor
5,068 Posts
Netandtim - Next time you have a stuck piston, don't pry it out, shoot it out with air pressure. Be very careful, the force produced by 100-120 psi on the piston area is massive, NO FINGERS IN THE WAY!.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
markandson said:
Netandtim - stuck piston, shoot it out with air pressure. Be very careful, NO FINGERS IN THE WAY!.
I like to use a piece of wood in between the pistons to not only keep them from slamming into each other but to also keep them from coming all of the way out. Sometimes one will move more easily than the other and will pop out leaving you no better off on the stubborn one.

HTH,
Harold

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Dave,

Swap sides! Why didn't I think of that? How do you bleed the calipers since the bleeder screws are now on the bottom? :eek:

Harold

·
427 Posts
I just special ordered a pair of flex hoses from Autozone, before checking with O'Reilly Auto Parts who had them in stock. I know you dont have O'Reilly up there, but if you need a new pair, my special order will be in tomorrow and will gladly ship them up to you for my cost ($56 since I paid the $14 extra to get them in 3 days) or you can order them direct yourself from OGTS or as stated before, thru Autozone on-line. But definitely check with your local auto store to see if you can't get them ordered thru there. When I bought this GT was told there were some possibly major probs (electrical, brakes) but have sloved all with a little sand paper (painted contacts on tail lights, disconnected wire assembly from sterring column) and new brake lines because as NetandTim said, when it pulled severely to one side, I suspected the other line had collapsed. Got new rotors with the car as well, but the ones on it were fairly new, so if anyone needs a pair, am willing to part with them as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts