Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any recommendations on brake pad manufacturers? I know this is somewhat subject but I'd appreciate feedback on experiences of mfgs.

Right now I'm leaning toward the AXXIS Ultimate. I will not be doing high speed driving if that helps any.

Thanks troops!

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
468 Posts
I use Textar on my GT for solo2. We use them on all the MBs. That and new ATE rotors and a brake fluid flush every spring.

·
648 Posts
I'm using Porterfield's Kevlar street compound. No dust and they work well when cold. I also had the rear shoes relined with it.
James

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Appreciated. I'm finding there are alot of manufacturers of there. TGIS I checked out your site. NICE! Read the article brakes too. Now I know what an E-Ride is.

Some of the sites and mfgs I checked out had test results on them. Since I don't know what OEM stats are, it's kind of useless. I can't find anyplace that that did comparisons between specific brands. Oh well. It seems though that I should probably replace the rotors with vented ones though, that seems to be universal feelings correct?

The sleeping menace (garaged GT) will be used for mostly daily driving and a few occassional trips. I just want something better that your local auto parts store(NAPA, Checker, etc.) pads.

Thanks again

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
Thinking of purchasing EBC Greenstuff Sport Pads (Kevlar) for 71 GT. Several Owners noted that they were happy with the street performance. Pads should work well in warmer Southern Calif. climate.

Perfect Brakes (Garfield Heights, OH/ 800.581.8952) list EBC DP2104 @ $39.00 + S&H. Web Site suggests Pep Boys, so might visit store for their price. Site also list City Pro Ceramic ($22.10)

Any experiences?

One of the "Cons" noted using EBC brake pads was noise. Owner(s) could not determine if it was cross-drilled rotors adding to the "hissing" nose frequency and others commented that braking noise was reflecting off highway concrete barriers.

Amount of brake dust?

When I spoke to several local brake shops, none of them used Raybestos. But ... I never had a problem with Raybestos pads on my previous GTs'. Kragen has PG Plus, Noise Solution, Semi-Met, (in-stock) ($27.99) at local stores.

www.partsamerica.com currently has free ground shipping on $50.00 orders.

Thanks,
Lindsay

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
my only complaint with autozones lifetime pads is they have horrible dust it seems on most cars, and half the time they're extremely squeaky.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just replaced front pads with the EBC Greenstuff pads (along with rebuilt calipers and stock style Brembo rotors) about 600 miles ago. At first they smelled weird but that seems to have worn off. No other problems.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
greenstuff pads

bosco said:
I just replaced front pads with the EBC Greenstuff pads (along with rebuilt calipers and stock style Brembo rotors) about 600 miles ago. At first they smelled weird but that seems to have worn off. No other problems.
1-where do you find greenstuff pads? are they better due to high coeffecient? are they too soft and wear out?

2- i looked for them. tirerack told me they dont carry them any more.

3- tirerack has a link " greenstuff only last 10,000-20,000 miles"

4- where did you get rebuilt stock calipers and stock rotors?..for the same bucks..couldnt you have gone to big brakes...or is big brakes not really necessary for the non racer?..thanks Bosco on your input

5- i am using $15 bendix pads on stock rotors and calipers...seems like I can lock them up..so I am unsure if I need big brakes

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got the seals for the caliper pistons from OGTS and the greenstuff pads from tirerack before they ran out. I forget where I bought the rotors but they were about $25 per. All in all way cheaper than big brakes I think.

My problems were many.... the calipers were all varnished up, the rotors were down to the minimum and warping, the pad were shot and the car was pulling to one side. Everything seems great now.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
greenstuff pads

I put on the green stuff pads (ebay $ 50 or so ebay)today, plus new brembo rotors(last ones at tire rack closeout 16 each),plus new hoses.

Driven 5 miles..they seem way better. good enough that big brakes don't interest me right now.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts