Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake Pads

Which are better pads EBS greenstuff or Hawk HP Plus Race brake pads (or maybe another suggestion)?

’75 Big brake package with Opelgtsource’s vented rotors. The car is a Manta with street and a little friendly parking lot auto-cross use, on a mildly preped engine (lightly ported 1.9 head on a 2.4 block, beefy cam and larger valves dual webers 40ies, header with 2.5 exhaust

There don’t seem to be any EBS Greenstuff pads listed for the ’75 manta brakes but they do list the 77 BWM 320. Is that the same pad as the 75 Manta ?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...Model=Manta&autoYear=1973&brand=all&x=192&y=9

135 Posts
I searched for the answer first with no luck. Are the 1971 Opel GT original front brake pads a metalic composition or non metalic? I understand the base material is asbestos.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
This is a VERY old thread... but I'm pretty sure the Greenstuff pads are no longer available. I've got them on my GT and they stop on a dime with no residue.Wish I would have bought another set......
Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hawk Pads

Hawk HB180F.640 -
Hawk Performance Brake HPS PAD D109 BMW/NIS/OPEL

These are the Hawk blue pads that we put on the 75 Manta (D 109 big caliper). I called Hawk and they said they tend to wear the rotor, they work extremely well on the track we have found. The hotter they get, the better they work. You can call Hawk and figure out what they have as a good fit. Hawk Performance Brake Pads: Race Proven, Street Legal 1.800.542.0972

MSM

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I bought EBC Green stuff pads for my 75 about a year ago. These combined with the 3/4" rear wheel cylinders make the car stop like a modern car with 4 wheel disc brakes!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I searched for the answer first with no luck. Are the 1971 Opel GT original front brake pads a metalic composition or non metalic? I understand the base material is asbestos.
If you just need a replacement pad for your stock brakes, I can recommend PBR (or Axxis) Deluxe Plus. It's an organic asbestos free pad, that does not dust at all (well, almost). I can drive daily for 2 weeks before I wipe them clean. Have them on my daily driver 1973 BMW 2002 also.
Performance is fine, but probably not the right pad for the track. However, they have also semimetallic and ceramic pads, if you need a more aggressive one.

Here is a link for Volvo pads - their rear is the same as the GT stock front pad - D31

PartsQuick® : The Fast & Easy Way to Find Auto Parts

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
For those looking for racing type brake pads:

1968-1974 Opels

1975 Opels

The HPS and HP Plus are the only streetable pads on the list.

The Hawk blacks are awesome for modest to hot temps, but would honestly only last for about 30 days of street driving. Good for hillclimb and autocross, but you should switch pads (and preferably rotors too) for street driving.

The 'Blue' pads are the standard when it comes to road racing or circle track, they have a long history as a competitive brake pad. They'll last about one season of racing, but they are no good for colder temps...in fact they destroy rotors when they are too cold, but are surprisingly easy on them when used for racing. They also do not stop until they have a few hundred degrees of heat in them!

The HT-10's and the DTC-70's are newer state-of-the-art compounds that have *incredible* braking ability. But they will outlast your stock rotors, wheel bearings, and brake fluid...even after those components boil/melt/fail, the pads still grip! And unless you have serious tires (slicks) and preferably some 'real' downforce, they are a bit more prone to locking from higher speeds. Good for a season of racing generally, even with very hard use.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
might be a tad late jeff and dean this thread is from 07 LOL

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts
might be a tad late jeff and dean this thread is from 07 LOL
The moderators (you know them right?) don't like us to start new threads so these old ones are for people like Dean & I :slap:

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
lol

having an old peoples moment the two of you ?

:haha:

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
How about the HB171?
There a little taller and looks to have a smaller pin configuration.
They come in blue,hps and ht10... in stock.

75 calipers, solid rotors

1 - 15 of 15 Posts