Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Über Moderator
6,683 Posts
fredopelgt said:
Opel Manta A 1900cc
Not 100% sure but I think Manta B non-fuel injected :)
I believe the Kadett "A"s that came with front disc brakes used the same rotors and calipers as the GT (at least the 1.9 litre models; the 1.1 GT's had smaller bore calipers, so if there was a 1.1 Kadett with front disc's, it would have had the smaller caliper bores). The Ascona A used the same front disc's as the Manta (and 1900 GT), but both only up to 1974. The 1975 (and probably Ascona & Manta B, post 1975) had bigger front rotors, and calipers to fit (same calipers as the 1977 to 1979 BMW 320i). Not exactly interchangeable, but if you swap out the complete package (calipers and rotors), you end up with the "Big Brake" package, which is VERY desirable.
HTH

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Sorry Keith I have a set of rotors and hubs from a 78 and the rotors need turned down to fit a GT, not in thickness but in diameter. The Hubs look good but the bearings are wrong in them. So to do the full BMW fronts it's best to have a lathe and some parts or just do the bigger calipers from a BMW and stock 75 brake rotors. JM2CW

As for interchange Autozone, Checker, schuks, Kragen, Parts America and napa all have the part you need in thier systems as fitting even the 75s so it's hard to not get the part you need. That is the 69 to 75 all models I recently found out.

· Über Moderator
6,683 Posts
nobody said:
Sorry Keith I have a set of rotors and hubs from a 78 and the rotors need turned down to fit a GT, not in thickness but in diameter. The Hubs look good but the bearings are wrong in them. So to do the full BMW fronts it's best to have a lathe and some parts or just do the bigger calipers from a BMW and stock 75 brake rotors. JM2CW
David, I never said that BMW rotors would fit, just that the calipers are the same as the '75 and "B" models. What I was suggesting was to get the rotors and calipers from a Manta or Ascona B (readily available in Europe, where RSS is) and upgrade to the bigger brake package.

· Opeler
49 Posts
Brakes upgrade

I may be a little late with this posting..but here goes. I'm deployed in Europe and I ran across a guy with a '69 Euro spec GT. He told me he bought a '78 Ascona and swapped the front disks and calipers into his GT. He said even though the disks are bigger...it was a perfect bolt on installation. The only problem was the original wheels were to small and had to get bigger ones. I went to the local car part store and they said there is only 1 type of disk for the '75 to '81 Asconas/Mantas...but 4 types of calipers! The options- AC Delco, ATE(or something like that) and Lucas. One of these 3 companies also offer a dual piston caliper. Since these calipers are all special order..I can't visually inspect them to see which is the perfect fit for my '69 1900cc US spec GT. Does anyone know which would fit the easiest? The guy with the Euro GT said he believes his are ATE..but he's not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.