Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new opel gt owner from ga. I purchased a gt with 58k original miles and has been in dry storage for 22 years. The eng. still runs fine but i need to redo the brakes. Just wanted to know if their is any source for calipers and wheel cyl. other than OGTS. 100 bucks for a caliper seems pretty high to me. I dont want to spend more on the brakes than i payed for the car. The calipers are not avalible at my local parts stores, i have already checked with them. Any information will be appreciated. BTW great web site with lots of helpful information. Thanks, John.

·
1,973 Posts
You can rebuild them yourself with ogts rebuild kits (do NOT separatethe calipers at the center seam! the square shoulder seal can not be replaced), I believe they are $12 a corner for the front. Rear wheel cylinders are usually available at autoparts stores inexpensively.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. If I were in your place the first thing I'd do is contact the Georgia group. Good group and right there around you. I'd start with Gene (BQS4) I'm sure he knows were to find things locally. Seems there is a meet coming up too.

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
first thing to do when working on ur brakes is to replace all the rubber brake hoses, they are prolly all swollen or collapsed because of heat.

·
1,973 Posts
The brake lines swell due to constant contact with brake fluid.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
CSK has them for 17.99 and they show stock on the rubber lines.

·
Opeler
59 Posts
Brakes

Do it all - the rubber seals on ALL your parts will age because of the nature of brake fluid. I'm still in the process of doing mine - nothing too difficult here.

The gotcha's I've run into:

1) You need a 2 stone hone for the wheel cylinders
2) One of the nuts on the brake master cylinder is most easiest to access by removeing the cover off the driverside headlight and using a lone extension through the headlight opening to reach it.
3) the pistons on the calipers need to be oriented to the brake pad backer plates when reinstalling.

I''ve just done this (or am just about done...), so it's fresh in mind. PM me if you need a hand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brakes?

I checked the cskauto site and i dont see the caliper listed. I removed the calipers from my parts car and they look pretty good. I will try to rebuild them. Thanks, John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts