Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brake reservoir cap for my 73 GT is badly cracked. Does anyone know if there is a stock replacement available? Or do I need to try and find a used one someplace? Any help would really be appreciated.
Rick

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
An ATE brand cap will fit and is available at most auto part stores. However, it will not have the hole in the top that the Opel GT cap seems to need. Suselbeek does carry a replacement for the stock brakefluid cap.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
ATE MC Cap

I happened upon a wayward BMW 320i ('81 I believe) at the local Pick Your Part, and found that it came with an ATE master cylinder, and a really neat feature. The cap has a low fluid switch! It fits the GT MC perfectly, although the float looks like it would sit quite low in the reservoir. You would pretty much have to be out of fluid before it would close the contacts. But I plan on installing an indicator light and have it activated by the switch, since it would be better to know the fluid is very low, than to find out you have no fluid at all!

I haven't actually put it into service yet (so much to do, so little time!), but I would guess that any BMW with an ATE MC would have a cap that would fit, with the level switch or otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
or

If all else fails, I could just send you a NOS one from my box-o-NOS. Send me a PM or e-mail and we'll work something out if you're interested.

·
Opeler
49 Posts
MC cap

Pontiac Lemans's from '88 to '91 (AKA Opel Kadet) MC caps are also a perfect match. The have a low fluid switch on them also.

·
635 Posts
The brake reservoir cap for my 73 GT is badly cracked. Does anyone know if there is a stock replacement available? Or do I need to try and find a used one someplace? Any help would really be appreciated.
Rick
Rick,

I know it has been 5 years or so since you wanted one but
I am importing new ATE chrome caps from Germany if you want one

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
It is a very nice new cap inside and out
see pics...

$25.00 plus shipping to IB

unless you come and visit me in Lake Elsinore then
it is free shipping
Now that is half way reasonable. A few years back I saw an NOS GT M/C reservoir cap go for nearly $50 on eBay.

Harold

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, if you have them in stock, lemmee know what the total price is and I'll do the PayPal thingy. If they're not here yet, I can wait until our first meet of the new year, Encinitas IIRC. I'll have to wait until after January before I do any driving. I've got to get some eye surgery done after all this chemo stuff is done.

·
635 Posts
happy new years Ron hope we have a fine 2009

Hope your surgery goes well too

Ok I will bring one for you at the next OMC SDOMC meet

Crossing my fingers and toes for Saturdays game

Hope the same team shows up again

Jim

·
635 Posts
new production caps coming from Germany

The supplier in Germany has sold out of the "old" 1st producution run caps

I have been informed that a 2nd run has been completed and that the price
has increased.
These are improved caps too...
Better in appearance (more shiny) is what I have translated from the supplier

So if anyone wants a cap it is now $39.99 plus $5.50 S&H

I have back orders to fill and then there will be 3 left for anyone
who has not pre paid or pre ordered (Ron got you covered)

SOrry but the increase is not my doing

Jim M

·
Opeler
65 Posts
When you get the replacement cap be sure to flush the entire brake system with new fluid from a sealed container. The reason for this is that dot 3 and 4 brake fluid is hygroscopic. In other words, it attracts water (from the air). This will cause two problems. First, water has a lower boiling point than brake fluid and could cause loss of brakes under hard use. The second problem is that water in the system will cause the components to rust or corrode (master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders). Please do not delay, get her sealed-up and flushed ASAP.
Tom

·
Opeler
135 Posts
reservoir cap

Mine was also cracked. I pulled one off an E30 BMW (1984 to 1991 3-series). Other models might fit.

·
635 Posts
Special orders must be paid in full in advance

Jim can you put me down for 1of the 3 and ship th NH

thanks Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Please send $45.49 to:

Usa Opel
21601 Canyon Drive Space 48
Wildomar Cal. 92595-8135

I will send one to you as soon as they come in from Germany

Thank you in advance for your support