Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a breather tube with some kind of filter or valve inside going from the valve cover to the air filter. I had to put some electrical tape around it to keep it from popping out while driving (for now). Should this be a clear airway? And the what is this part called so I can get a replacement. Please let me know, because on the way back from Oregon to Washington, this popped out and splatter oil all up inside the engine compartment. (I did cut back some of the excess tape around the tube opening... eventually).

·
Registered
806 Posts
It doesn’t have to be a tube, just pick up some hose at the local auto parts store, be sure that the other end goes to the air filter housing so it will send filtered air into the engine. Some guys go a step further and tap the hole & install a threaded fitting into the valve cover. The hose works fine for me, I also have an oil catch can (optional) to trap any oil from the vapor when the air flow is traveling into the carburetor to help keep it clean. HTH

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
Have a read of the recent discussion on PCV's (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) systems at:

and also the thread

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
.. some kind of ... valve inside going from the valve cover to the air filter. I had to put some electrical tape around it to keep it from popping out while driving (for now). ... this popped out and splatter oil all up inside the engine compartment. ...
Umm, for clarity, the reason it popped out was because it was blocking crankcase vapours from escaping, pressurizing the crankcase (and valve cover).

A blown seal and gasket or three is in your future (or present) if you don't pull that PCV valve out immediately

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm, for clarity, the reason it popped out was because it was blocking crankcase vapours from escaping, pressurizing the crankcase (and valve cover).

A blown seal and gasket or three is in your future (or present) if you don't pull that PCV valve out immediately
YIKES!
After reading everything I could find on this, I have determined that you are correct and I do not want the PCV valve in line.
Thanks. Now I have to find an extra piece of hose to put in there.

Also, since I'm new to this forum, I think this post should have been included in the "technical" area?

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
YIKES!
After reading everything I could find on this, I have determined that you are correct and I do not want the PCV valve in line.
Thanks. Now I have to find an extra piece of hose to put in there.

Also, since I'm new to this forum, I think this post should have been included in the "technical" area?
Umm, yes, I know of what I speak... ;)

And a further "yes", it is in the Tech Forums (I think I moved it there last night, 'cause that is what Moderators do)

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
What is the status of the "Small Hole" on the valve cover? Have you read the threads I pointed out in your Introduction thread? That small hole should be connected to the intake manifold via the "metered orifice tube" on the intake manifold, as described in those threads.

Bye the by, please search for answers BEFORE you start a new thread. This Forum is organized in a similar manner to the 1973 Opel Factory Service Manual (FSM), and the search function works quite well (contrary to what some members might say). The rules are (somewhat) clear:

1) Search first
2) Only add to an existing relevant thread if you don't find your answer
3) ONLY start a thread if you can't find an answer
4) ALWAYS ensure that a new thread is started in the appropriate Forum

For a fun description of Forum etiquette, watch:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the PCV valve. I thought that was all I had to do, as I thought the other small hose was in place.
So I took the car out for a 70 mile trip on the freeway, the first 70 miles were good. 30 of the last 70 not so good. I lost oil pressure exiting the freeway and the car died. Had to restart. The engine started making noise and I'm not sure about the other hose. But maybe that's why? I'm leaking oil a little every time I park. Maybe that's why the PCV valve was there in the first place?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot find a small hole on the valve cover, and I don't know how to connect it to the intake manifold via the "metered orifice tube" on the intake manifold as you state. I have reviewed the threads and there are no pictures for me to refer to. The one picture was just a thumbnail which was not readable or viewable, and the link to the main pic was 404... and that thread was from 2002.
Is there a picture I could look at that shows the small hole on the valve cover with the hose going to the intake manifold ? and what is "via the metered orifice tube" because I have no clue.
I'm worried that I've ruined my engine now, having removed the PVC valve. BTW, I think, if the small hole is by the big hole, it has a screw in it, so would be blanked off.

·
Opeler
974 Posts
I cannot find a small hole on the valve cover, and I don't know how to connect it to the intake manifold via the "metered orifice tube" on the intake manifold as you state. I have reviewed the threads and there are no pictures for me to refer to. The one picture was just a thumbnail which was not readable or viewable, and the link to the main pic was 404... and that thread was from 2002.
Is there a picture I could look at that shows the small hole on the valve cover with the hose going to the intake manifold ? and what is "via the metered orifice tube" because I have no clue.
I'm worried that I've ruined my engine now, having removed the PVC valve. BTW, I think, if the small hole is by the big hole, it has a screw in it, so would be blanked off.
Check out this link, scroll to the last page.

here are a couple of pictures from the page I’m referencing for your record, and others viewing this thread.

Best of luck!

Eric

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh-oh, someone plugged that "small" hole with a bolt. Is there another picture like this that shows where on the intake manifold the hose should hook up to?
The previous owner has been driving this car around with that bolt in the small hole and the PCV fitting in the large one.
Should I hook it back up like he had it? It seemed to run fine that way, but now the engine is missing and maybe I've fouled the carb?

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
I cannot find a small hole on the valve cover...
Hmm, do you have the finned aluminum valve cover (standard on GT's) or a steel valve cover (came with Kadett's, Manta's and Ascona's)? This is a GT valve cover in post #1.

Read the entire thread and review the photos and report back please. If you have the steel valve cover, later versions may not have had the small hole, just the big one. Still no PCV valve though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To my knowledge, this is the original '71 GT valve cover. You can see where the small hole was in the photo below, but there is a bolt there instead. So I hooked everything back up the way it was and I have the car in idle now, staying at idle, but running rough. Rougher than it should. I think the bolt is covering the original hole because the bolt is like loose and just shoved in there. It's on the right in the pic. Not sue if this makes sense...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
B
To my knowledge, this is the original '71 GT valve cover. You can see where the small hole was in the photo below, but there is a bolt there instead. So I hooked everything back up the way it was and I have the car in idle now, staying at idle, but running rough. Rougher than it should. I think the bolt is covering the original hole because the bolt is like loose and just shoved in there. It's on the right in the pic. Not sue if this makes sense...
View attachment 429397
Been running mine like that for 12 000 + miles. You ll be fine...though I strongly suggest you take apart your valve cover oil baffle plate and replace those old metalic oil separators foams ( for lack of a better term). Cause the can impede crankcase pulse air flow and cause more oil leaks

Attachments

Reactions: rskybizintrees

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!
Live and learn :)
I really do appreciate all the help I've been getting here, despite the Cardinal sin of posting in the wrong forum...
I will try to do better.
Seems like every time I fix one problem, another one crops up. Got my front calipers (loaded) coming in Tuesday to get replaced on Thursday, then I'll need to get a tune-up. I've got electronic ignition so just plugs and wires I guess.
I think the last thing I need to deal with is the transmission... Reverse works fine, but I've been having trouble, little by little getting worse, going into 1st gear. I've been having to force it in, and 2nd too. I think it's time for a new clutch. Hopefully I can get a replacement at GT Source.

·
Opeler
1,427 Posts
Like Vincent said, replace the metallic mesh on the inside top of the valve cover with stainless-steel mesh kitchen scouring pads. The crankcase gas flows through the mesh on its way out of the engine and it acts as a coalescer screen, collecting the liquid droplets out of the gas stream and returning them back to the engine. Works just like a full-scale oil and gas separator in the oil field, preventing liquid carry-over in the gas stream.

Be careful when removing the steel cover on the mesh pads. It is held on with very small diameter bolts that like to twist off when removing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a picture of this somewhere with the valve cover upside down so I can see how much and where the stainless-steel mesh goes (before I remove the valve cover)?

·
Opeler
1,427 Posts
Is there a picture of this somewhere with the valve cover upside down so I can see how much and where the stainless-steel mesh goes (before I remove the valve cover)?
I may have one in the garage that I can photograph tomorrow if no one else has a picture of it in their photo collection.

·
Opeler
3,000 Posts
Excellent Tech Tip:
Those valve cover hoses..

Valve Cover PCV Filter Material?

Mettalic mesh is located under inside valve cover plates.
Opel GT valve cover_inside.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts