Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Opeler
1,431 Posts
Is there a picture of this somewhere with the valve cover upside down so I can see how much and where the stainless-steel mesh goes (before I remove the valve cover)?
Finally got some pictures today. The square funky filter pad is a used stock unit and the stainless one is what many use to replace it.

Attachments

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,851 Posts
To the OP:
  • Do you have any idea how many miles are on this engine?
  • How is your oil pressure now? Did you add some oil to the engine?
  • Is there any knocking or loud tapping sounds from the engine now?
  • Please take the air cleaner apart and see if there is oil in the air cleaner and if the air filter is soaked with oil.
  • Pull the spark plugs and see if they have oil all over them. That will tend to be a shiney black coloring.
It looks like the PCV valve in that hole was serving a function. Each PCV is a restriction of some amount and pulling that out removed the restriction and may have allowed a lot of oil to be pulled into the air intake. That could have burned up a lot of il and resulted in the oil pressure problem.

And, this setup may not be OK with this particular engine. Running the PCV setup incorrectly may be fine on a newer engine; the low level of blowby in a well rebuilt engine may be all sucked in quite adequately with a simple hose to the air cleaner. But a worn engine with a lot of blowby may suffer from excess oil into the air inlet, and leaking seals, without the proper setup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To the OP:
  • Do you have any idea how many miles are on this engine?
  • How is your oil pressure now? Did you add some oil to the engine?
  • Is there any knocking or loud tapping sounds from the engine now?
  • Please take the air cleaner apart and see if there is oil in the air cleaner and if the air filter is soaked with oil.
  • Pull the spark plugs and see if they have oil all over them. That will tend to be a shiney black coloring.
It looks like the PCV valve in that hole was serving a function. Each PCV is a restriction of some amount and pulling that out removed the restriction and may have allowed a lot of oil to be pulled into the air intake. That could have burned up a lot of il and resulted in the oil pressure problem.

And, this setup may not be OK with this particular engine. Running the PCV setup incorrectly may be fine on a newer engine; the low level of blowby in a well rebuilt engine may be all sucked in quite adequately with a simple hose to the air cleaner. But a worn engine with a lot of blowby may suffer from excess oil into the air inlet, and leaking seals, without the proper setup.
Odometer says 69k, but that could be 1, or even 2. The car looks well kept and not rode hard. I would guess 169k but no way to know for sure.
Oil pressure got better after the oil change, but I think I have a fouled plug.. seems like it's missing. Got a backfire or two while starting sometimes. Going to the shop for a tuneup next Thursday.
I would say there's no knocking, but it's running rough I think because of a bad plug. Will find out next Thursday.
I'll look at the air cleaner because you may be right about the oil, since I removed the PCV valve for a 140 mile trip.

Not sure what to do to make sure I have the "proper setup". I'll have to wait until I get the tune-up.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Took the air cleaner off and looked at the carb. Looks pretty good. No oil. Clean.
I'm positive I have a fouled plug due to all the oil coming out of the dip stick hole while driving back from Oregon.
I picked up a replacement boot for the dip stick on ebay for $15. So that problem is fixed.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts