Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So today - since I am away from the Opel for a bit I made myself a cam bearing removal/installation tool:

Textile Grey Material property Tints and shades Bag

Textile Silver Grey Wood Office supplies

Brown Rectangle Wood Textile Grey

basically a bit of an overkill bearing tool, but what the heck. A question for perhaps @RallyBob or @kwilford or ? Would it be prudent to include an alignment pin that would fit into the two bearing grooves so that you could maintain the bearing from any turning while it is knocked in?

Also I am planning to auto cad the electrical drawings for the 1970 and will share those out when I have them completed.

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
A question for perhaps @RallyBob or @kwilford or ? Would it be prudent to include an alignment pin that would fit into the two bearing grooves so that you could maintain the bearing from any turning while it is knocked in?
In my opinion that would distort / destroy the bearing.

You really have to hit the s**t out of the cam installation tool to install a bearing. I can’t imagine transferring that force to the bearing holes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Would anyone know where to get these clips:

Electric blue Composite material Household hardware Metal Nickel

I need 4 for the dash board. The car is a 1970 so just one dash screw and the clips.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
496 Posts
Opel GT Source, Opels Unlimited or "opelmeister" sells parts on this site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I am finally back and we blew most of the car apart on the weekend. We tore out the radiator,
Off with the fan, jacked up the car for removals - wheels off. Front brakes are new!!! - new callipers, pads and rotors - that was nice to find. Pulled the master cylinder, steering and some other loose ends. Finding some rust that was capped over and we will be doing a big weld-a-thon. I will try to measure things and plan it out.

Pistons and all the engine parts arrived. I am going to pick up a valve cutting/surfacing machine so that may just lead me to adding the hardened exhaust seats.

working on the electrical and dash stuff as well as setting up the sewing machine for making replacement vinyl panels.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Hood

the pistons are all “93mm bore”. So you size to that and it works well with a nominal 0.004” clearance. A couple will not take much To hone out

Shipping box Food Packing materials Wood Packaging and labeling

Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering

Lots to absorb in the rebuild. Exhaust seat scrapped clean to 45°without much effort, except for #4 cylinder - seems a bit less wear on that one and …..
Now I am thinking to put in the hardened seat. I also have a seat grinder coming so … ??

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@Young Gt Lover - I am thinking on going this colour:

Good progress today on the engine. Cylinders honed, main crank bearings All fitted, main crank shaft seal in place. Main bearings (all new) plastigauged to 1.5 thou. Con rods cleaned up and set.

Piston spec is a bore of 93.00 mm plus 0.025mm minus 0.00. These pistons expand a lot. And the new rings are really springy. Original bore was 92.92 max and largest piston is 92.94. Cleaned out bores to 93.01 to 93.02. The fit of the wrist pins is tight. Manufacturer recommends a hot water bath to make sure the pins slide in properly. I will provide some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice colour, that should stand out in the greyness of Ontario. It would get me killed out here in the rainforest. I do not really like the candy ruby red my car is now, nor the original traffic cone orange, but I am looking for something bright that is not "asphalt grey" "rainforest green" or "misty" anything. I should be able to use my car almost year round, but out here that means a lot of foggy grey days with logging trucks on twisty roads. Original traffic cone orange might not be a bad choice for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
@RBYoung - maybe go for the sunburst yellow or the chrome yellow if you want to stay visible. @kwilford s car is orange and it looks amazing- I don’t think it is traffic cone orange - looks deeper like the XX code of Fire Glow Orange.
Yep, FireGlow Orange it is.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts