Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a broken spring. Now i know changing normal springs is something exceptionaly dangerous, especialy if have never done it before.

But with a broken spring it seems imposible. In order to get the spring off, you have to extract the sunspension, right? but the spring is now leaning on the sunspension housing. Its been rubbing against it for a long time, almost made a hole in it. If i was to remove the sunspension, the spring would jump at me as the sunspension is the only thing holding it in.

Its dark so i can't take pics, i'll do it as soon as i see daytime. Any sugestions on the same expirience? Also, are springs usually changed in pairs - i'm afraid my car will lean on one side with only one new spring.

Thanks.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
You will be fine with a used spring.

The springs are not that bad to do. The GTs are the ones with the "killer" springs.

Put the car on jacks and then take a piece of rope t hold down the spring.

Then Undo the front shock at the bottom, unbolt the sway bar from the car, and undo the two lower control arm bolts, and dislocate the lower ball joint.. lower half of suspension should come down.

You should probably get new shocks, ball joints and bushings and replace them all. If you can't afford to.. at least take a good look at them and make sure they are good. I doubt they are.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never thought of tying the spring down. I'll try that tommorow.
I can probably get new ball joints as they sell italian replicas pretty cheap, but i think my shocks are still good.They are still good on the other three wheels, this one is just a bit scraped on one side, but nothing that should affect its performance.
btw, don't GT's have the identical sunspension sistem as Manta's? Thanks for your help. I'll probably be coming back here as i run into more problems, i'm scared after hearing stories of flying springs. :)

·
7,574 Posts
Most the time when you remove the system the way I told you the spring will release itself without much of a problem. Its contained within the shock remember?

Its springs from cars with leaf springs (like the GT) or springs like struts, etc.. that can be really dangerous.

Springs don't tend to go bad unless something else is bad and when they are going bad they will tend to beat the heck out of the shock, etc.

Charles

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi.. Well i finally got some proper tools that don't bend like butter. But well i broke the sway bar bolt. Is it a left screw? it really wouldn't go, after drowning it in wd40 and really twisting it just broke right near the head.

I still however can't get the sway bar out. I don't understand why there is a bolt on one side and just a bar on the other, shouldn't the bar have a thread on it and just be screwed in with a nut on the other side?

Any ideas on getting it out other than cutting it? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gaaaaah!!! i'm going crazy, crazy, crazyyyy!! Nothing will come out, stupid car! i'll throw it in the river!

None of the balljoints will come out, they are both loosened, but they won't jump out, i've been banging all over the place, they won't pop.
If i was in the garage now, i'd take that pneumatic gun and try to shake the hell out of them, but isn't there another way of getting them out?

Now that i've loosened the shock, the spring has positioned itslef in a non retractable way, so i can't put anything back together before taking the spring out. Spring must go out! i will die before i let this beat me, i will cut the whole car apart if i have to.

and why is IMG code off only for me?

·
7,574 Posts
Working on something for you.. relax. STOP what you are doing.

·
7,574 Posts
1) You misunderstood (or I wasn't clear) - Unbolt the swaybar from the REAR attachments where it attaches to the body. YOU did not need to remove it from the control arms.

With a jack hold the sway bar in place, remove the 4 bolts and lower the jack. The sway bar will come down.

2) Set jack under the rear of the control arm. Then unbolt the lower control arm from the body (at the back of the control arm), and unbolt the lower shock mount.

3) You will NEED (It doesn't sound like you are using one) a ball joint seperator. It is a heavy forked item. With a few coat hangers tie the steering knuckle to the upper control arm. Make sure you have the wieght off the upper ball joint. Using the ball joint seperator, seperate the Lower ball joint from the steering knuckle so it stays attached to the lower control arm.

Lower the jack, the lower control arm/sway bar assembly should drop. and the spring should come out easily.

You should have the steering knuckle and upper control arm still attached and assembled. The lower control arms, and the sway bar should be attached and sitting on the ground as an assembly.

Take the lower control arm assembly to a machine shop and get them to drill out the bolt you broke. And try to get another bolt to fit it. They don't come out easily, the lower control arms and its bushing to the sway bar have to pressed out. You may have done damage and need to get a new sway bar bushing. Its not something you can do easily without the right tools. You may want to look around for a used assembly from another Manta. THat maybe easier.

As for the ball joints, the upper is bolted in at the top and the lower is press fit into the lower control arm and a new one will need to be press fit in.

Hope that helps.

Charles

·
7,574 Posts
See attached

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks, I have definetly done more damage than good. I will probably have no trouble getting a used sway bar and lower control arm from an Opel junkjard, only problem about that is, i'll have to be taking both sides lower arms off.
I will have to get that balljoint separator. (if i'm not mistaken there are also special pullers for this)
My main concern now is how the bolt that holds the lower arm at the back will come out- is probably really rusty too.

The place where the sway bar connects to the arm theres a rubber cylinder that is completly torn. Is this part really important?

Thank you for your time. :)

·
7,574 Posts
Thos bushings for the swaybar at the body can only replaced witht he swaybar off.

They are important to keep the sway bar still and for noise (IF they are gone.. the sway bar hits the body with a "thump").

THat said you can get a polyurenthane bush that fits the OD of the bad, trim it and split it in half to fit in the area of the old one (using the old bushings metal bracket. They squeak, but it will work. Hoepfully the ones you find on the used car will be good. Those bolts come out much eaiser than the bolts for the sway bar at the control arm. I normally don't have a problem with them.

The bolt that goes through the lower control arm can be a pain, and I have had to hack off the nut and use a hammer with a srewdriver to drive it out of the bushing. But its a easy bolt to replace. Just be careful of the bushing, don't want to damage it.

Again, it will come with the used assembly you get, so hopefully the urbber on the used assembly will be all good.

Charles

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wooohooo! finally. i got the spring out. Balljoints still joined coz i don't have the tool, but i'll take the whole consrtuction off and take it to a shop to get the joints separated.

So. anyway, i can get someone to make new springs for me for allmost free, but i am afraid the car will look the way mantas look on those ads, really high up like some familly car - thats really ugly imo, i want it to be a bit lower at the front. So would cutting one step on the old coils be too much? Its actually two steps, but the uppermost one is much closser together. Since it broke pretty close to the top anyway.
Thanks for your help, wouldn't have done it without it. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The sway bar nut on the other side came off without damage, so i don't have to take the lower arms off. But in an attempt to remove the other side spring, the sunspension bolt wouldn't budge. The nut is off, but the bolt won't go out, it just spins inside this squeaky rubber. My theory is that it got stuck in the little metal tube thats located in the rubber cylinder and can't get past the two nuts between the walls. I bashed it really hard, and no way, won't move.

I made an x-ray drawing of that part. so the green part would be stuck to the yellow part (the bolt), but i'm unsure why those two large nuts are there, couldn't they have put some blank tubes instead? coz the nuts apear to be free, not screwed on anything.
I can cut it, but that still won't get it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the screw out of the sway bar, took me all day to find someone willing AND able to do it. Couldn't buy the rubber bushings, they don't sell them for mantas anymore, i can get other model opel bushings, but, nothing so old to have this type of swaybar. :( Maybe get a different one and just fit it in anyway, its rubber, it should stretch.

Got kadett C springs which are brand new and a bit shorter than mantas originals, so that should be perfect.
Now if only i could get that sunspension screw out.. i'd be one of the happiest... :)

Attachments

·
7,574 Posts
http://www.dr-manta.de has reproduced the bushings 30 euro. He also has the other bushings, and ball joints. He is germany.

Charles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.