Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that I now have had 2 valve springs break. Does anyone know if there are new springs avalible anywhere. This is getting too close to loosing the engine with a valve into a piston.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
are there any mods done to the head? never heard of or seen broken valve springs.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Jeff,

RallyBob has mentioned that with new springs (hyd) and stock valve sizes and stock cam, valve float would be around 7400-7600, IIRC. Also, in another discussion, he mentioned adding an EXTRA .020" shim for more RPM before valve float... was in reference to using a cam with .407" lift, like the torquer.

The late model hydraulic lifter springs are a little stiffer than the early model ssolid lifter. Don't know what solid lifter springs are, but the 74 FSM says the hydraulics are 93-97# valve closed and 180-182# valve open.HTH

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Best I have found.....

Get rid of the exhaust valve rotator and replace it with a valve spring shim of suitable thickness to allow the fitting of Intake valve springs at the same installed height as on intake valves. Use intake valve retainers as well. Or better still - sneak in a set of "stock looking" Titanium retainers......
THe 2.4 litre stock replacement springs are 100-105# closed at 1.650" and 195-205# opened to 1.240" (0.410" lift). Available from Pioneer - see pic for part no. RV-925-4

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts