Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, the time is spring of 2014, and out of the blue someone in Jawja decided he needs more dry storage for all of his Opels.
2 in the basement, 2 in the garage, 2 outside, and 2 still sitting in Germany --> 2 in the basement, 2 in the garage, 4 in a new garage by end of 2014. That's the plan. A 4-car garage (well, let's call it a carport, ok?), budget US$ 6,500.

Step 1 (May 2014):
The plan is to build it 36' long and 22' wide, for 2 cars wide and 2 deep. The county's building department is shaking it's head "no-no". The maximum without architectural drawings is 720 sq-ft, no matter how I split it between length and width. I hate it, but I have to do 36x20'.
A few trees have to go. These guys are mad. They scramble up a tree like I scramble up on my couch. Anyway, lots of firewood for me to split. Maybe in the winter of twothousand......twentyfive?

Attachments

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 2 - Foundation, June/July 2014

The building will be classified as a "pole barn". A total of 10 posts need to be set in concrete. I am renting a Bobcat, digging the holes 24" dia times 36" deep.
Strictly as of the county building inspection guys. There will be a lot of concrete going into these holes...
Ten posts (6x6x16') were cut to length, to have the maximum allowed height (by our building codes...) of 12' for the construction (without roof). The area has some slope to it, so the front has about 10-1/2' height, the rear has 12'. Thanks to my friend Olli for helping to lift and set the posts, meanwhile it was June and we were working in 95F and about 101% humidity.
I bought a concrete mixer "The lil' Meister Jäger" and had Lowe's deliver 150 bags of 80lbs concrete. That's 12,000 lbs of concrete, which I will be mixing by hand within a weekend. As I learned from my father (a bricklayer), you need to bury some objects in the concrete foundation that have a meaning to you, your building, or the lot where it is built. Here's my list of what's in the foundation, besides the concrete:
- About 48 frogs
- A 6' long Water Mocassin (aka Cottonmouth)
- A bottle of Warsteiner beer (the beer went into mixing the concrete)
- A sip of each Jack Daniel's Single Barrel and Jägermeister Spice
- One intact 8x57mm Mauser cartridge
- A used 69 Opel Kadett 1.9 Rallye Engine mount.

Attachments

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 3 - unplanned extension, August 2014

So I'm standing in front of my building, and I don't like it. Hey, I'm building a garage/carport for serious Opels, not for rancid Volkswagens. On the same evening I'm calling a previous supplier of mine, and the day later I'm giving him a contract for pouring a concrete floor and driveway extension, effectively adding US$ 4,500 to my budget. A couple weeks later, the first Opels take a test-fit in the new garage. Yes, I would have liked it to be 2 feet wider, but I take it this way as well. Lots of room!

Attachments

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 4 - Roof, September 2014

The roof is ready to go on. Like the concrete floor, I'm not doing this myself. Way too high, and way too heavy. I'm getting a barn roof, with overhead storage for more Opel parts included - a full 10' wide, 36' long, and I can walk in there without hitting the overhead rafters.
These installers are really crazy - they balance on top of their ladders, and run around unsecured in the rafters, 22' over the concrete ground, like monkeys. But nothing happened, and after 2-1/2 days the beautiful "bright red" steel roof was up.

Attachments

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 5 - Temporary finalization, October 2014

Now WTH is a "temporary" finalized garage? One that needed a final inspection, because the 6-month building permit was about to run out in a few more days...
I have added a few more details, the gables have been closed off, and I added fascia boards to the rafter sides. 12 pieces of 45° braces out of 4x6 beams, each one 6' long, to stiffen the structure. No pics of these details yet, it is getting dark too early. Today I had my final inspection, and passed without problems.
To be added in the next few weeks: rain gutters at least on one side (towards my garden), and I will partly close off the lower part of it on 3 sides.
To be added within a year: Full walls to make the carport into a garage, garage doors, wooden steps into the overhead storage, and a bar to hold my ever growing collection of Jack Daniel's bottles. By the way, I'm sipping one right now...

To be continued - comments welcome!

Dieter

·
Administrator
10,109 Posts
That's a lot of work Dieter!

No wonder the only time you get to rest is at a meet:

Attachments

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: opelgtguy and Gary

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Love the gambrel style roof - if you get any ice storms you'll be glad you have it as the ice/snow tends to sheet off of them quite well. When are you planning to floor the attic? What are you planning for electric/lighting? Carefully consider where you are placing the refrigerator. Any beer taps going on the walls?

Reactions: opelgtguy

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the gambrel style roof - if you get any ice storms you'll be glad you have it as the ice/snow tends to sheet off of them quite well. When are you planning to floor the attic? What are you planning for electric/lighting? Carefully consider where you are placing the refrigerator. Any beer taps going on the walls?
I'm getting some outstanding ideas here :yup: once this is all done, I might sell my house haha!

Dieter

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's always fun to build new space. I was wondering what you were going to do for the walls. We added some grey corrugated roofing panels to the south facing wall. It really lets in a lot of filtered light. You do feel like you are in a glass house at night.

We had to replace the garage door this summer. We opted for a chain drive opener with DC motor and battery backup. Unbelievably quiet so a worthwhile upgrade.

After a good cleaning, we now have three cars and a pick up in the garage. Plus all of the tools and lawn and garden equipment. It's tight and ours is 29' by 40'. I still have room to work with everything in there.

How are you going to access your loft? An outside stairway. We only have a 2" x 4" truss system so we can't store much above because of our winter snow loads. A pull down could work but can't take much weight.

What kind of rain water collection system are you going to install? You should be able to water the garden all year long with 200 or 300 gallons of storage. I visited this place outside of Austin. Tank Town - Rainwater Collection Since 1994! He bottles the water and sells it as Cloud Juice. With a pump you could have running water in the barn.

Have fun!

Attachments

·
Manta Owner
260 Posts
New Shed

I priced building a shed this last spring. I am looking to build a 30X48 shed. I looked into materials since I have an uncle in the lumber yard business. (He owns one in SW Wisconsin) It would have been about 13,000 - 13,500 delivered to my house in SE Wisconsin. He won't send a crew over to build it since it is out of his normal area.

I did some pricing with the usual culprits (Walther's Building, Morton Buildings, Northland Buildings). They were all about 24,000 to 28,000 built and finished. I found a local builder that will do it for 21,800 complete with the concrete. I am now trying to convince the significant other that it is worth the investment.

Dean

·
Army Rotorhead
434 Posts

·
Army Rotorhead
434 Posts
Great job Dieter. Let me know if you need any help.

You know you've grown up (some) when the "some assembly required" portion of your new toy box involves a county permit.

Reactions: G.v.Mainberg

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Step 5b - pictures

Just a few pictures taken today, to show the "temporary finalized" status.
Oh, by the way:
- Running water - check
- Sewer - check
- 30A power - check
- Having a drink tonight - check, check and check!

Dieter

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,836 Posts
Well, all I can say is that now you have no excuse to not have Southern OctOpelfest at your house.

The car is warming up and my sleeping bag is packed.

There better be hot chicks and cold beer when I get there......

:veryhappy

·
Army Rotorhead
434 Posts
Well, all I can say is that now you have no excuse to not have Southern OctOpelfest at your house.

The car is warming up and my sleeping bag is packed.

There better be hot chicks and cold beer when I get there......

:veryhappy
This sounds like a good idea.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
"Temporarily finalized", part two

I have added a few more details, the gables have been closed off, and I added fascia boards to the rafter sides. 12 pieces of 45° braces out of 4x6 beams, each one 6' long, to stiffen the structure. No pics of these details yet, it is getting dark too early. Today I had my final inspection, and passed without problems.
To be added in the next few weeks: rain gutters at least on one side (towards my garden), and I will partly close off the lower part of it on 3 sides.
To be added within a year: Full walls to make the carport into a garage, garage doors, wooden steps into the overhead storage, and a bar to hold my ever growing collection of Jack Daniel's bottles. By the way, I'm sipping one right now...
Very interesting to read my own post from just two month ago. Compare the bold parts of my quote to the pictures below... When will I be done??? --> Looking at the last picture, now I have to match my house roof with a red steel roof...

Dieter

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts