Opel GT Forum banner
141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Too much? I might need a hole in the hood.

Attachments

Reactions: GoldGT

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,728 Posts
Holy Canoli!

:yikes:

It's as big as a toilet seat!

Holy Cow! Is this dragster Poo Powered?

I can see you now, trousers down, sitting on your carb, topping off the fuel.........

Cut a hole in the hood and it might suck in birds, drones, and small children!

Did you "repurpose" one of yer babe's mixing bowls to make that?

When you're not draggin', can that mixer make smoothies?

:lmao:

·
Registered
230 Posts
A little more done in the cylinder head. Two chambers fully unshrouded, and two intake ports and two exhaust ports fully ported. Halfway there anyway....

When You scrape in chamber diameter, it is gasket (slightly bigger than cilynder's), cilynders or something in between? If it's gasket diameter, doesn't it make turbulence and hot spot on cilynder's edge?

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 · (Edited)
When You scrape in chamber diameter, it is gasket (slightly bigger than cilynder's), cilynders or something in between? If it's gasket diameter, doesn't it make turbulence and hot spot on cilynder's edge?
I usually grind to the edge of the gasket. Then I have the head surfaced (milled flat) after. This always brings the chamber edges 'in' a little bit. I haven't had any problem before.

This engine is using a solid copper gasket so it should definitely not be an issue.

Reactions: Lesis

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
On a drag car excessive heat is the primary enemy.
A few of the components to keep an eye on
Cooling system... this includes oiling system to contain the evil one.
Spark timing
AFR
If any of the above is out of wack the increased cylinder temps can lead to problems.

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
On a drag car excessive heat is the primary enemy.
A few of the components to keep an eye on
Cooling system... this includes oiling system to contain the evil one.
Spark timing
AFR
If any of the above is out of wack the increased cylinder temps can lead to problems.
Now, I'm not saying it's going to be easy (nothing ever is), but I've always built my engines to withstand road racing, circle track racing, or rally use.

I can personally attest to one day when I drove my 11.2:1 compression street car to the track, drove it WOT for 92 miles, and then drove it home.

So making it last for 11-12 seconds at a time should be comparatively easier.

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
After nearly tripping over this intake all week, I finally put those eBay nitrous injector nozzles in place. But not before a quick cleanup of the intake after 7 years of being in storage.

OCD and ADHD is such a dangerous combination…sigh.
Art Snapshot Sculpture Metal Fashion accessory

Gas Motor vehicle Machine Auto part Metal

Automotive engine gasket Gas Auto part Machine Nut
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
This is an interesting build. I I’ll definitely follow along on this one.
It’s an OLD build. One of the last I worked on before I moved to New Hampshire.

It’s no longer a priority of mine, I just happened to find the intake manifold last week. My last post on this project was in October 2015, the month before I closed my shop.

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I got a very expensive tap in today, courtesy of eBay. It’s an M24x 1.5 pitch metric pipe tap. It was an ‘open package special’, so it was offered at a discounted price. I sat on the bidding for a few days and got an offer for 10% off, so I pulled the trigger. $83, down from $93, down from $130.

The purpose is to tap the engine block for this project to allow threaded plugs to be fitted where freeze plugs once resided.

This block will be getting a custom main stud girdle to tie things together. Since the bores are so thin (bored from 3.66” to 3.875”), it will also get 1/2 the water passages filled with Hard Blok filler to strengthen the bores under duress. (12.5:1 compression plus a bunch of nitrous).

The freeze plugs are essentially useless at this point, being below the full line for the Hard Blok. But freeze plugs can also pop out if a block flexes under high turbo boost or lots of nitrous. These threaded plugs will then, by default, strengthen the block.

The M24 plugs BTW, are the same ones that are used in the CIH cylinder heads
Tin Automotive tire Tin can Gas Nickel

Household hardware Cylinder Gas Nickel Screw

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Cold stuff plumbed to the intake.

Haven’t done much Opel stuff lately, but it’s nice to occasionally get something accomplished.

Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle part Automotive tire Gas

Green Gas Auto part Audio equipment Machine

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Today I got in another distribution manifold, so I plumbed in the fuel side of the direct-port nitrous system. I also got in a 12” long stainless braided Teflon -4AN hose for the feed line between the nitrous solenoid and the nitrous distribution manifold.

For the feed line between the fuel solenoid and fuel distribution manifold I just bent up a piece of 1/4” copper-nickel tubing and flared the ends for tube nuts.

I still don’t have the nitrous jets themselves.
Green Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Plumbing valve
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive tire Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender Rim

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Made some tubes shiny, that’s all for today.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Gas

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Though this entire engine setup is designed for my GT, I test-fitted the intake to my Sportwagon.

If I had used a 1/2” carb flange instead of a 1”, flange, and if I had shortened the plenum by 1”…it would actually fit under the hood!
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Machine Nut

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Hood is the least of your worries. Fire that thing up. Test fitting takes too long.
That car has no electrical system at all. And the intake ports are about 1/4” too small for that intake.

Pretty sure the intake manifold plenum is a bigger displacement than the engine itself.

·
Super Moderator
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
So, I had a brain fart when I made the mounting tabs for the nitrous solenoids. I forgot this was for a GT…duh.

I can’t put the fuel solenoid at the rear of the carburetor, there’s simply no room. I made a new bracket today that allows both solenoids to be mounted at the front of the carburetor. I had to scrap my 1/4” copper-nickel tube for the nitrous feed. Oh well. But I had a spare -4AN braided flex hose that fit, so all is good.

This minor project completely wiped me out! I had surgery last week and I’m still recovering. I’m also restricted to lifting no more than 10 lbs, or doing anything else ‘aggressive’ which might engage my core for fear of undoing the surgery. So, sad to say, I’m probably done with car projects this summer. The earliest I can do anything would be mid-August, and by then I feel my strength will be greatly diminished. It looks like yet another driving season will pass me by without accomplishing anything. Sigh….
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Jewellery Electrical wiring Rim

Motor vehicle Telephone Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

Valve Cylinder Gas Plumbing valve Motor vehicle

141 - 160 of 162 Posts