Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have any members in, or around Burns Oregon? A member of another forum informed me that a Gt showed up about a month ago "It's somebody's project shop and it just appeared there about a month ago with current plates." he said.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
That's a little far for me.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
I was in Burns once. The only place I’ve ever been that had mosquitoes bigger than those in Alaska.
I can't say anything about the mosquitos there but the only time I was ever there has good and bad memories.

Back in the stone age, my family was going through a tough time. Tougher than I knew at the time.
My older sister had just been sent off to a foster home, and my younger sister and I had no idea why. We were never told 100% of the reason but my older sister was a bad seed so there were probably dozens of reasons.

My mom and dad were, apparently, having a hard time too but, again, my younger sister and I didn't know how bad.

I was 12, she was 9.

My parents decided to try to find some normalcy in our lives and took us two kids to go metal detecting. They were looking for ghost towns to detect. It was actually pretty fun to go to collapsed barns and gather square nails and bullet shells. We had a huge collection.

Burns was the destination of choice. It was supposed to be a day trip.

Driving there was uneventful and we had a lot of fun. I think we ended up staying overnight in the pickup camper because the number of events that happened couldn't have happened in one day.

As we were headed home we got into some weird weather. My parents decided to go across the back (East) side of Mt Hood.

What started in Burns as a 90 degree day, we ended up in a freak blizzard on the back side of the mountain. My dad tried to stay on the road but we ended up with the pickup in a ditch. It took a short while for a snowplow to come through and pull us out.
On we went. On the Northeast side of the mountain is a winding stretch that's cut from the mountain. That's where the winds started. It was about 70 degrees again at that point so snow and ice weren't part of the equation.

My dad fought the wind in his pickup, overloaded with a camper. My sister and I were in the camper part, long before there were seatbelt laws.

He kept saying he was having a hard time steering. My mom started yelling and freaking out.
It got to a point where he was fighting the wind just to no plunge off the side of the mountain. It was a near sheer drop a couple hundred feet below.

And then the wind stopped. Like turning off a switch. He had the steering wheel pointed toward the mountain and the truck shot straight into the side.

He banged his knee. My mom broke a finger. My sister was fine but the spare 12V battery in the camper slammed into my leg. It left a bruise but that was all.

Luckily there were a few other cars in the area and someone stopped to help. That's when, the same switch as before, turned the wind back on. Two strangers were near my sister, trying to get her safe into their car. I we right behind them. I got knocked back but managed to stay on my feet. My sister was, literally, horizontal like a blanket in the wind with the strangers holding her hand on both sides. We got into the car and finally felt "safe".

Another pickup helped my dad get the camper and truck out of the side of the mountain. It still ran and my dad insisted he could drive it.

My parents asked the strangers to drive us down to a safer part of the mountain, and they did. It was probably 10 miles but there was no wind there.

We got back in the camper but it was not the same. The floor was crooked. The cowl between the cab and the camper was torn. Everything was a mess.

We ended up staying the night at the strangers farm. My sister and I stayed in the house and my parents stayed in the camper. The next morning my dad and the owner of the farm spent a couple hours getting the truck and camper road worthy again.

A few months later my mom moved out and took my little sister. She wanted me to go too but I knew how mentally unstable she was. She always resented me for not going with her when she moved out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts