Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few years you have heard me brag about the "man made lightning" of my ignition system; Pertronix feeding a MSD 6 box with MSD Blaster coil. I pulled the coil lead off last night and found a hole had been burned through the side of the coil tower, just under the boot on the wire. I do use this car hard, but have only put about 2000 miles on this system.

Anyone ran across this before?
Should I try a different brand of coil? I used the MSD coil because it was designed to work with the high output of the MSD box.

Ideas?

James

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The high voltage had found a path to ground that was an easier journey than the preferred trip ending at the spark plug gap. It's that simple. Examine all parts that the voltage bypassed, somewhere in here there is a resistance.
You'll need a new coil for sure, now that it's been drilled through by the arc there is a trail that is probably not fixable. I'd take a good look at the coil wire, and the rotor, and the cap, and the plug wires. Some rotors have a resistor in them, I don't know why, but you don't want that.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I agree with Jeff "high voltage had found a path to ground that was an easier journey than the preferred trip"
It only takes one misfire for the spark to poke a hole in the insulation of anything be it coil, wires, or spark plugs.
Believe it or not even a bad ground on the spark plug shell will raise the firing voltage.
First get rid of the bosch platinum plugs
second try solid core wires

the fixed resister in the rotor is for radio interference
who needs AM we got CD's now

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not using a resistor rotor....I'm using the Bosch rev-limiter rotor. Now, it might have some addional resistance in it that I didn't know about. I am also using good high performance Accell wires, but I will change to a solid core wire...I don't even have a radio in it...

Jc

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Ah!

N61WP said:
I'm not using a resistor rotor....I'm using the Bosch rev-limiter rotor. Now, it might have some addional resistance in it that I didn't know about. I am also using good high performance Accell wires, but I will change to a solid core wire...I don't even have a radio in it...
Jc
The rev limiting rotors have a connection in them that reacts to revs and interrupts the flow of high voltage to the ignition wires - you now know where that high voltage goes when it cannot get to the spark plugs ...........
Get rid of the rotor and use a 'real' rev limiter that stops the coil firing by interrupting the primary circuit rather than cutting off the secondary high voltage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts