Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I love the opel GT and my fathers friend bought a 72 from an auction 2 years ago for 700$, + a ton of extra parts for it. It had been sitting in a barn for a long time, ut isnt rotted underneath, Suprisingly enough the doors close perfectly, so thats a good sign. My plans for the car was to get it running, repair body stuff, paint it, and stick some racing seats in it. I have 2 cars right now, so this one will be a weekend warrior for Auto X. My questions are..

How strong are these motors?

How many miles can be racked uip befor a rebuild?

How do they trannys hold up?

What are good sites for parts?

how are the rear ends?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks
Chris

And some info, I have 2 cavaliers, 93 VL and a Z24 98 Vert. I love the opel cus it is a mini Vette, my dad has a 64 Stingray and a 2000 vette.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Chris, one of the really neat things about this site is, it has a very powerful search engine and all the questions you have asked have been covered quite extensively in previous posts. All you have to do is spend some time with the search button at the top of the page and all your questions can be answered and then some. If you still have questions, by all means go ahead and ask. There are some real strong racers on this site that can give you a wealth of information.

Ron

·
Über Genius
9,375 Posts
I can tell you my experiences...
The engines are a get lucky and you will love them, or unlucky and you will hate them sorta thing.
The transmission has never been a problem with any of my GT's but I never went higher than a modified stock engine. I did break a few clutch plates though.
As far as the rearend is concerned, I would think you could never build a stock engine that would blow out your rearend.
A special note for you though. Always check your U-joints.

Hope this answers most of your question.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1972 Opel GT-Fairport NY

Hey,
I see your from Rochester. I just posted my into in the "Introductions". I'm looking for a specific 1972 Opel GT that was in Fairport back in 1977-my dads old car that my mom sold after he died. I'd like to talk and compare VINs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts