Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through the most unusual car buying experience. My trusty Volvo XC70 developed steering pump oil leak. The prospect of replacing the pump myself was bleak as it required Volvo special tools and it is generally very complex procedure. On top of it, I had an urge to buy the car with higher tow capacity. I had set my mind on VW Atlas, large SUV rated at 5000 lbs tow capacity.

I located several of those cars on line and contacted dealers by phone. I told them that my decision will depend on the buy back of my XC70. They asked me to email pictures, mileage, etc and soon I got offers ranging from $2,000-7,500 for my car. That was confusing enough, to see such a huge difference in the buy back price. I contacted the dealer with the highest offer and asked them when I will be able to check and test 2018 VW Atlas that I was interested in. I have been told that due to Corona pandemics I will have to make the decision on line, based on the pictures and Carfax report. After the money transfer, I will be able to make an appointment and pick-up the car that will be fully sterilized. They allowed 3 days buyer remorse return.

Well, I thought, they are also taking some risk by buying my car unseen, so I bit a bullet and bough the car. The car was clean, no scratches, exactly as described. One week later, I can report that it is a wonderful car. Powerful 3.6 l engine, 280 HP, 8 speed transmission and 3 rows seating. I hope that the dealer is equally delighted with my oil leaking Volvo.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
I know the feeling P.J., it is a weird way to do business, but I guess it works. They will even bring the vehicle to your house. My wife and I were researching vehicles as well, but never got to test drive one before this virus crisis started. We were told that we could buy the vehicle and drive it for three days and if we didn't like it, we could return with full refund. I'm paying over $30,000 for a vehicle that I haven't driven or sat in, doesn't make sense ;) I buy Opel parts over the internet, but they don't cost $30,000 Go figure :)

·
Vendor
2,516 Posts
PJ,
Congrats on the new car. I had an Atlas as a rental for a couple weeks (the V6 flavour), and I was really impressed. The highway mileage was decent (~22 mpg) and
the power and handling were excellent for such a beefy vehicle. I'm surprised that I don't see more of them on the road around here, amongst the sea of SUVs and pickup trucks :)
Is that a picture of your actual vehicle? Same color as the one I rented.
Good luck,
Ron in FL

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,474 Posts
Was raised in a medium size town. Remembering my father's stories that car dealers would loan him a car for the weekend to evaluate. He always like 4-door cars, while I liked sporter 2-door models.
That is a good story. Reminds me of my dad and the local Dodge dealer.

My dad built, owned, and operated the radio station in Salem VA, WBLU ('The BLU Beam' was their byline...), and Beach Brothers Dodge was a steady advertiser. They would lend him cars from time to time.... one time, they loaned him a new '66 Dodge Charger demo car to drive for a week! That was a cool ccar!

PJ, that VW 'Artless' specs out very similarly to wife's '17 Dodge Durango. I hope you enjoy it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts