Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'll start by saying I feel guilty that I'm not buying from Dennis and Gil at OGTS, but my budget is too tight to cover my GT's shopping list. I've searched the German Ebay listings and with my translator I found an agreeable merchant willing to ship to Canada (Ebay ID is big-cheap). I won the auction; 71.00 euro for four 93.75 flat top pistons with pins and rings. The shipping is kind of steep at 38.00 euro. So the total is about $115.00 Cdn for the pistons and $61.50 Cdn for shipping.

So I thought I'd made a terrific deal,,, then I went to my local bank to do a bank draft as the seller requested. My bank said "sure we can do that! That will be $90.00 Cdn in transaction fees please". When I saw my savings start to go down the drain I contacted the seller and tried to explain the situation (again through the translator). He is very understanding and is trying to find an acceptable way of receiving money at his end (money order, traveller's cheques, certified bank draft, etc).

The seller, Frank Mellmann, has been quite helpfull and has listed another set of pistons on eBay. I told him that once we work out a system for payment that is acceptable to both of us, I would let as many of my fellow opellers know about his auctions.

I'm sure that a few of you have gone this route already,, how did you make out?

Lonnie

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I have to ask if you mentioned wanting them to Gil or Dennis? I did and I got a set of .5 mm over 9 to 1s. I don't know what the Canadian exchange rate is but I paid 59.00 American for them. It never hurts to ask

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? $59.00 American for new pistons? For the set or a piece? Just a minute, don't answer till I get the tylenol and antacid ready....

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
That was for a set of used but in good shape, even the speed shop that did the motor work said they were good. The ring lands were still straight and no scarring. Gil said they were out of a motor somebody decided wasn't enough.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Banks!

Not only will your bank charge for doing a money transfer; his bank will charge him 10 Euros for the "priviledge" of receiving it so you really need to send an extra 10E as well - so he recieves the correct amount.
Paypal has not penetrated Germany yet - worst luck.

The other option is to just post Euros in an envelope ........

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Lonnie,

I almost bought a NOS Ascona ignition switch from a guy in Germany off eBay, and he wanted payment through an electronic bank transfer. I didn't get as far as finding out the price of the transfer (from the Royal Bank, in my case), just that they could do it. But I lost the auction anyway. So I bought a used ignition switch (with key) from David Ponder at www.opeljunkyard.com for half the price of the winning bid, and much less for shipping (and no funds transfer fee). I may have saved more money than I thought...

As for pistons, even with the shipping and funds transfer, you seem to have a good deal (albeit not as good as "nobody"). Your total cost is $266.50 CAD, which is "only" $66.63 CAD a hole. I bought a NOS set of forged 0.040" over (94 mm) flat top pistons from a prominent member of this site, and the cost was closer to $125 CAD a hole including shipping. Which was still somewhat less than Gil's cost, but still a lot more than nobody's.

You know the saying about Opels? "Expensive German parts for cars with no re-sale value" :)

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seller will get back to me on Wednesday and we will try and discuss our options. He has another set for sale (all four pistons) starting at 69.00 euro (about $82.00 American dollars). The item number is 2474714937 if anyone is curious.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Money to Germany

When I moved to the US from Germany in 1996 most people places still did not take creditcards. Most people pay with bank drafts and automatic transfers. I found the same problem when I need to purchase from a Germany parts store and looked into lots of ways to transfer money to their account. There besides the extra cost of shipping there are 2 costs associated with the money transfer. 1) Fee for transfer 2) Conversion rate

I found that my bank had a fee of around $30 US, however they converted the money at the rate banks get which can be considerably less than other venders.

I wish that pay pal or even creditcards (for stores) would catch on back in Germany... :confused:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
German Ebay

I was curious so I did a bit of digging. If you go to the German Ebay and are looking to buy something. Ask the seller if they accept Paypal. Recently German paypal was introduced and the only stipulation that I found was the reciever has to have a local bank. Meaning that if he lives in Germany his bank can't be in Denmark. Since Ebay bought Paypal it would stand to reason that it would be pushing it. I saw where they were doing mass Emailing to inform users of this and offer cut rate software to retailers. It also looks like the only catch other than the usual fees that paypal/ebay keeps is some variations on the exchange rates vs. the banking exchange rate. I also looked and even for something that I buy here in the states I could pay in say yen or euros, wouldn't that screw with those Ebay sellers. I just thought it was an interesting bit if you buy in Germany. Here is the web site.

https://www.paypal.com/de/

found this:

If you receive a payment from a user in another country, an additional cross border fee will be charged. The cross border fee is an additional 1% for U.S. Dollar payments and 0.5% for Canadian Dollar, Euro, Pound Sterling, and Yen payments. This cross border fee is currently waived for Canadian sellers receiving payments from U.S. buyers.

* If your transaction involves a currency conversion, it will be completed at a retail foreign exchange rate determined by PayPal, which is adjusted regularly based on market conditions. This exchange rate includes a 2.5% spread above the wholesale exchange rate at which PayPal obtains foreign currency, and the spread is retained by PayPal. The specific exchange rate that applies to your multiple currency transaction will be displayed at the time of the transaction. View Currency Converter

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Money exchange

I have my own solution, but, this was done, long before, not knowing I would run into this same situation. I'm currently buying a set of mats for one of my Opels. Although I remember seeing where the seller took PayPal and stated that they shipped world wide, at the end of the auction, the seller stated that they only did bank transfers. I'm a member of a credit union and they don't do transfers. But, i do have a PayPal account and I do have a friend or two scattered across Europe. To complete my transaction, a Euro friend is transferring the payment the way they do in Europe, but, I'm paying him back through PayPal, which we both have. I have done this a few times.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Cash

I have found some trustworthy folks in Germany and I send them good ole American cash. I always register the envelope and pay the extra couple bucks for a return receipt. Apparently, if American cash is taken to a bank there...there is no conversion fee. That's the only way I've discovered to get around this problem. Granted...it can be somewhat risky. But if you can establish that your suppliers are honest and trustworthy...it's a great option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No offense, but this is probably one very good reason why OGTS' prices are where they are. It's probably not much easier for them to get it than it is the rest of us.

Claud

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
worked out a payment method

:) As a quick recap, I was trying to find a way to pay a German Ebay seller for a new set of flat top pistons. It turns out that all of their post offices handle Western Union. I logged on to the Western Union secure web site and used the credit card to transfer funds. The cost of transferring was a lot more reasonable than the bank.

Now I will wait and see how long they take to arrive and what I'll pay for import duties. The seller has been most patient an his recent e-mails show that he is using a very accurate and effective translator. I'll show the final breakdown of costs in a future post.
Lonnie

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
W U !!

Never thought of Western Union! My bank gouged me $25 to send "any amount from 20 to 2,000 dollars" to quote them. Then the sellers bank turned around and gouged the seller 10 Euros for the privilidge of recieving the transfer :mad:

I shall remember WU in the future and cut the banks out of the equation. Already have an online account with Western Union too :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
May I butt in here with my two cents worth?
I've been buying my parts from Gil at OGTS and am impressed with his knowledge and expertise.
I am on a very tight budget, too, but for the service I'm getting I'm glad to pay the asking price, and I hope they make enough money to stay in business.
What would happen to our Opels if OGTS couldn't stay in business because so many people are too damn cheap to keep them alive?
Frankly, for what they are doing, I hope they are making a LOT of money at it.
Have you ever tried to be in business, and deal with people who have lots more bull*** than money? It is very frustrating. Quite irritating. In my business (boat repair) I streamlined my customer list way down to STRICTLY the people who had the money to pay for what they want. You'd be surprised at how many of them throw in a hundred dollar "thank you" when paying a three hundred dollar repair bill!!
When you need good service and quality parts, please gladly pay for it. If you can't afford it, take up crochet. Yarn is cheaper than pistons...
Okay, I'm done. Thank you!!

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
to wrap up "buying from ebay Germany"

Last April, I bid and won 4 TRW 93.75 flat top pistons (with pins and rings)from a German eBayer. The four 93.75 flat top pistons were 71 euro and the shipping was kind of steep at 38.00 euro. So the total is about $115.00 Cdn for the pistons and $61.50 Cdn for shipping. I just picked them up at the post office and paid $30.00 in duty. So $206.50 Cdn total, but 5 -6 weeks to arrive. The seller's e-mails were clear and understandable by the end of our transaction. Western Union is definitely the way to go for the money transfer. All in all it was an okay experience but I think the long wait means I'll probably stick with OGTS for all future transactions.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
billiard13 said:
No offense, but this is probably one very good reason why OGTS' prices are where they are. It's probably not much easier for them to get it than it is the rest of us.

Claud
Its the reason I dont do much anymore.. the cost of the Euro compbined with this fact.

I would order a lot more from my dealers in Europe if they took credit cards or paypal.

I also tend to go through European friends via paypal

Charles

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,380 Posts
As a reminder, you can always use my help to transfer money to Europe. You pay me by PayPal, and I do the European bank transfer for you. It was done successfully in the past, quite a few friends here used my "Service". The only fee is my PayPal receiving fee (when you transfer the PayPal money to me), so it cost you 5% on top of the total amount you wanna pay.

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
As a reminder, you can always use my help to transfer money to Europe. You pay me by PayPal, and I do the European bank transfer for you. It was done successfully in the past, quite a few friends here used my "Service". The only fee is my PayPal receiving fee (when you transfer the PayPal money to me), so it cost you 5% on top of the total amount you wanna pay.

Dieter
Worked for me! Thanks again, Dieter!

Harold

1 - 19 of 19 Posts