Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up a complete rewire on my 72 GT...and when I try to put fuzes in #5, #6 &#7 positions it makes one of the relays buzz like crazy.....what the heck is going on...with
out the key in and the ignition in the "on" position there should not be any power there ???? correct ?

·
Über Genius
9,098 Posts
The easy solution is to not put fuses in 5, 6, &7

When the key is in the ON position there's power to all fuses.
It helps to know what relay buzzes. Try connecting the seat belts and see if it stops doing that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the power off....is there any power to any fuzes ? #1 #2 and #3 are powered up...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is throwing me off....the key is not in the run position....could I have installed the new ignition switch backwards ??

·
Can Opeler
3,363 Posts
Are you sure it isn’t the key buzzer buzzing?
It’s supposed to buzz when the key is off but it could be miswired
As First Opel stated later model GTs also had a seat belt buzzer.

·
Senior Contributor
1,571 Posts
It sounds like the key buzzer to me too and if you just replaced the ignition switch there a tiny tang terminal that touches ground in the sleeve, i believe, probably touching ground now. the key buzzer looks like a round relay on the back of the fuse box,,, to unplug might be a Bear,

·
Über Genius
9,098 Posts
Close the doors and see if the relay buzzes.

I can never remember which is which but one side of the fuse block is always hot. The other side is hot with the key on.

Reactions: opellane

·
Registered
652 Posts
First, your supposition that the buzzer should not activate with the key out of the ignition switch is correct. The mystery to me is why the buzzer signals when you install fuses #5, #6, and #7, because the fuse for the buzzer is #4. If the wiring is correct, installing any or all of the last three fuses should not do anything that would trigger the buzzer under any circumstance.

I do not know if the 1972 GT has a seatbelt warning buzzer, but the 1973 Factory Service Manual indicates that fuse #1 controls this function, although the color schematic shows it to be fuse #2. As with the ignition key buzzer, this should not be triggered by the installation of the fuses you mention, unless you are reading the fuse chart backwards and what you describe as #7 is actually fuse #1 and #6 iis actually #2. For clarity, looking at the fuse panel, there are four fuses on one side of the two large red wires connected in the center, with three on the other side. Fuse #1 is at the end of the panel among the group of four.

I would have to agree that the difficulty may be sourced at the ignition switch, but I also agree with the suggestion that first you remove what you describe as #5, #6, and #7 and put them back in one at a time and see which fuse triggers the buzzer.

Finally, the ignition switch buzzer is supposed to trigger when the key is in the ignition in the "Off" position and when the driver's door is open. When applicable, I believe the safety belt warning triggers when the ignition switch is "On" and there is weight on a seat that does not have the belt connected.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really hate to admit this....First Opel 1981 his it squaire on....Dah...Close the door...amazing..buzzing is gone... it was so easy that I just think of that..... The 72 does not have seat belt sensors...so it was not that....Today I tried it on the crank position and she spun the motor over easily...the gauges seem to work .....it won't be long until I can put a fire in it.... or on it ,if I have many more electrical issues...I really tried to follow the diagram installing the new wiring loom but I think I have a couple of wires wrong...

·
Über Genius
9,098 Posts
I really hate to admit this....First Opel 1981 his it squaire on...
Don't feel too bad. Most everyone I k ow hates to admit when I'm right.

Reactions: opelgtguy

·
Can Opeler
3,363 Posts
Edit: deleted

·
Über Genius
9,098 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,962 Posts
LOL... I chased a battery drain problem for a while before realizing that the door being ajar would, of course, activate the dome light... Duh!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Add failing hearing to this scenario. I had to replace the clutch master in my RX7 the other day so I was under the dash working. I kept hearing this buzzing sound. Faint, I started to think it was the next stage of my hearing loss. It was strange that it was only happening while in the car. Then it hit me. Reached up and pulled the key from the ignition and I was cured. I don't normally hear the key buzzer anymore so I had forgotten about it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ah all good stuff, reminds me when I pulled my lights completely apart and rewired all of it replaced the microswitches and cleaned all the stuff up from rust and what was left of the old grease. once I got everything back together and set right I rolled the lights over and everything moved very smoothly open and closed with one finger but no lights came on. I started thinking there's no doubt the main relays were bad. walked away to eat came back tried it again and as I was disappointedly walking away again it dawned on me I never even put the key in much less turned it on.

Reactions: rrossjr
1 - 18 of 18 Posts