Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue in trying to put Greggs N's roller rockers on my cylinder head.
My head is a C&R BV head from around 1984 or 85. The head was put together by C&R and the roller rockers hit the Valve retainers before they touch the valve. The retainers are not flat like the original Opel ones are but have a lip with the keepers recessed. The springs are dual but I have no idea of there application.
Bob can I get you to jog your memory on this and possibly what I need to do to make it work.

thanks
Lee Frisvold
2.4 SM2 long time Autocrosser.

·
Registered
858 Posts
valve keepers

if i remember good, i had the same problem. Bob told me, i have to
replace the valve keeper from 7 degree to 10 degree or 10 to 7.
it work. i know that i was using chevy valves, so i bought the
keepers from local parts store.
Pete

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Known Problem

This problem has been discussed before and requires that the caps are replaced with flatter ones to clear the rockers. Care must be taken to ensure that the new ones fit the springs correctly and the same spring installed height is maintained. Sometimes a change of both springs and retainers is required to keep everything Kosher.

The problem is covered on David Jackson's Site which is accessible from:
www.opeltuners.com He used dual valve springs and flat retainers from Comp Cams - I think (from memory!)

Open that web page then select "Tuning Links" scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Personal tuning pages and click on ". David Jackson's Site"
Then look in the "2002 Engine" section of his site clicking on either "Engine Building" and/or "Cylinder Head"

A long winded way of getting to huge amounts of Opel CIH performance engine info but I have never been able to get directly to his web site any other way.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
lf62dsp said:
I have an issue in trying to put Greggs N's roller rockers on my cylinder head.
My head is a C&R BV head from around 1984 or 85. The head was put together by C&R and the roller rockers hit the Valve retainers before they touch the valve. The retainers are not flat like the original Opel ones are but have a lip with the keepers recessed. The springs are dual but I have no idea of there application.
Bob can I get you to jog your memory on this and possibly what I need to do to make it work.
That was a bit before my time in terms of me building Opel heads. I didn't start working at C & R until Feb '84, but my duties were restricted to stripping used Opels and basic R & R at that point. So I don't really know what combinations of parts were being used back then on the big valve heads. But deep-dish retainers won't work with the roller rockers as you've found out. A shorter spring setup with a flat retainers is needed, similar to the Crower 1.25" diameter springs and retainers I've made mention of in numerous other threads.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts