Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What work and parts would it take to install a 2.0L C20XE engine with clutch in a stock 1972 GT?
Are there conversion parts to buy?
Is it an easy swap?
Are there issues with firewall clearance?
Would it bolt right onto the existing motor mounts?
Any clearance issues at the front end with fan, radiator, water pump, etc.?
Any other possible problems?

Thanks.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,515 Posts
It's been done before. Not an easy bolt-on, but absolutely easy. You will need:
  • C20XE (obviously) or a C20LET (been done as well)
  • Getrag 240 OHC-version (Manta B 1.8 or an early Omega A with OHC) - now these are pretty rare these days (German ebay)
  • Engine mounts (or make your own - not rocket science) and Oil pan with pickup tube from one of the above OHC engines (German ebay)
  • Custom exhaust header or make your own, plus exhaust piping (headers for other C20XE-converted RWD Opels are available in Germany, might need to be modified for a GT)
  • Enough energy to follow up with replacing everything in the cooling department. These engines need a closed pressurized system.
  • Cost (to get all this in the US) ~ $5k to $10k, depending on how much you do yourself.
  • Result: PRICELESS!!!

Dieter

PS: I have a Kadett B, Kadett C, and Rekord E with C20XE/RWD configuration.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,515 Posts
Yes, the shifter lines up. Well. of course, the shifter bracket has to be shortened, the exact same way as when you put a CIH-Getrag behind a CIH. Of course, you will use the same Opel GT motor mounts.

Dieter

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
You need a 1.8L OHV RWD Getrag 240. I have a "kit" we are working on. I have found one of those and the C20XE.. 8045030249

1 - 7 of 7 Posts