Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on the front disk brakes and went to the local parts store to get the ruber rings for inside the calipers. The ones that were supplied did not have the thin metal band in them. The larger one came with a round wire that seems to slip over the ruber after it is installed like some type of retaining ring. The other is just a ruber ring that fits in the chanel. Has any one else had this type of set-up, and am I right in thinking the metal ring goes over the outside of the larger one?

Thanks,

Wolf

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
I haven't rebuilt a set of calipers (yet). I have a rebuild kit though (the Boy Scout in me showing through), and I will probably do a set soon enough. I believe the "fluid seals" are square "O" rings that sit in grooves, cut in the caliper body, and seal against the piston. The piston, in turn, has an outer "dust seal" (more like a "boot") that has a clamp ring that seats in the outer part of the caliper bore, behind the pads (the "metal ring" you refer to).
Anyone out there done this?

·
102 Posts
You are correct ...

kwilford said:
...I believe the "fluid seals" are square "O" rings that sit in grooves, cut in the caliper body, and seal against the piston. The piston, in turn, has an outer "dust seal" (more like a "boot") that has a clamp ring that seats in the outer part of the caliper bore, behind the pads (the "metal ring" you refer to).
Anyone out there done this?
Keith, you are correct ... that's exactly how it is ... I rebuilt mine last year ...
the clamp ring is for the "dust seal" .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.