Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted in a separate post, I am retiring as editor of OMC's publication, The Blitz. If you are interested in taking on this job, congratulations, it has been a rewarding experience for me, and I'm sure it will be for you, too.

Here's what the job currently entails:
  • The Blitz is a quarterly, so you'll put out four issues each year.
  • Each issue is 40 pages, keeping the level of content, and costs, much where it was when The Blitz was bi-monthly, and before that, monthly.
  • Print subscribers receive both print and PDF versions.
  • PDF subscribers receive only the PDF version. (Their membership dues are lower.)
  • MagCloud prints each issue and mails a copy directly to the print subscribers.
  • We use MailChimp to send out the HTML emails that announce the availability of each issue.
  • Richard Counsil handles the money and the membership roster.
  • The editor receives updated rosters and uses them to update the MailChimp and MagCloud mailing lists.
  • The editor creates the HTML emails.

If it sounds like a lot of work, well, it is, but considering the software and Internet tools we have available today, we can also do a lot. The Blitz is a full-color glossy publication put out by essentially one person along with people who contribute their stories.

The next editor may chose to streamline the process. For example, he/she could send out the emails from their personal email account, and printing could be done at your local OfficeMax and you can stuff and address envelopes, which is how it was done before I got involved.

As editor you have a lot of latitude as to look and style of the publication, but major changes, such as changes in page count or color versus black and white, should be run by the other officers before proceeding.

Software I use to create and distribute each issue are:
  • WordPerfect, to lay out and write each issue
  • Quattro Pro to maintain my own version of the roster along with records of publications
  • Adobe Photoshop, for handling images and photos
  • Adobe Acrobat, to create the PDF files
  • Adobe Dreamweaver, to create the HTML emails and manage OMC's satellite web site
  • FileZilla, to upload the PDF files to the web site

The next editor could get by with less software. He/she could use Word or Open Office, and the HTML emails can be edited using any text editor. Acrobat is only needed if you are inserting pages created in Photoshop, for example, the front and back cover and any full-bleed pages in the interior.

So in a nutshell, that's the job description.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just an extra FYI, even though almost no one has ever used it, it's been bundled with Office forever... Microsoft Publisher is actually way, way, way easier of a tool to use than Word. It's pretty idiotproof to learn too, you have text boxes and picture boxes, and you can click and drag them around. You'd figure it out within a half hour I'm sure. If anyone's intimidated by the tech, it's no harder than scrapbooking with actual paper.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
I just read your email, Mike. As I said a couple months ago, I would be willing to help out. I think for the Blitz and OMC to survive, it needs more people to be involved. If there were 4 people behind the Blitz, each person responsible for 1 issue a year, it could continue. I think it wouldn't be too hard to build an issue over the span of a year. Something crosses your mind as a good topic, you start writing it up. Over time, with pictures, that's not too hard. I'd be interested in something like this. I couldn't take on the whole Blitz and I wouldn't be comfortable steering OMC all by myself. But I'm willing and happy to be part of a team, if there are others wanting to help keep OMC alive. I find it hard to believe that a team isn't possible. We have many active members that would be a great contribution to a Blitz team. Some members are actively building and restoring an Opel and that is perfect for content. I could easily see Gordon doing a Banana issue every year, and that would likely wind up as being one of the must-reads. Kyler could do a tech / performance issue every year I bet. Rally Bob is a wealth of knowledge. Matt I think is still working on an EV GT? Charles could talk a lot about 2.4's. I know we have some members who race Opels, I'm sure there are stores to be told besides Tinyvette's. I'm starting my restoration, so I could easily document that. Content would likely be easy to find if there was a team.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
863 Posts
Just a thought - the job could be made a lot easier and a lot cheaper if it was just a web based publication that was printable by the consumer/member. Not sure how many people really want a printed copy is another reason why web based may be the way to go. Perhaps a poll to determine interest? Just my two cents worth....

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
Just a thought - the job could be made a lot easier and a lot cheaper if it was just a web based publication that was printable by the consumer/member. Not sure how many people really want a printed copy is another reason why web based may be the way to go. Perhaps a poll to determine interest? Just my two cents worth....
I think we would need to figure out if it will continue in the first place. As of right now, it won't.

·
Registered
808 Posts
In my opinion (on which I tread carefully to avoid the "other people should" attitude, if I'm not stepping up to the plate), having 4 people being independent for their own issue is going to be 4x as difficult. It takes 4 leaders, when we're struggling to find one.

In my experience on projects or organizations where it's challenging to find enough people to fill shoes, it's not usually that there's a shortage of people willing to do the work. There's just a shortage of someone willing to take ownership over it and making sure it gets done. Getting people to contribute small, digestible chunks with known scope and timing is generally not an issue. Having someone who organizes it and breaks it into those chunks, stays on top of it or coordinates those efforts and that vision, is. It's not the amount of work, it's the kind of work. Big picture work takes someone who wants the project to live in their heads, all the pieces up in the air at the same time. That's exactly the kind of mental commitment most people already have too much of and not want to add more to. People would rather do 3x the work on a simple task than a complicated task with more responsibility that's actually less work.

It's kind of like "We should all go to the museum in the next town over". 30 guys will say yes, we should. And 5 years later, no one's gone. And that's something that doesn't even take effort, it's something everyone actually just wants to do. But if one guy steps up and says "Next Saturday starting at noon, and coming back at 6, we're going to the museum. Would you like to go? Could you drive or would you like to carpool? The group rate is $10 can you send it to me right now?" Digestible chunks and someone else is coordinating it? It gets done.

If you put out a call for articles, you might get some ethereal responses. If you call out specific people "Gordo, can you write an article, 300-500 words before Dec 31 about the first car show you ever took your GT to?", "X, can you write 300-500 words about your headlight mod and take 3 or 4 pictures before Dec 31?" ... just about everyone says yes. 1/2 of them will do it. 1/2 of them you nag the week before and ask them to get started tonight, and submit whatever they can by Dec 31. Most of those will do it, some will get rolled into next issue. Someone calling the shots isn't being bossy, it's the decision-making that is hard to do. Not "sometime", not "about something", decide all that ahead of time. And that's most of the time, it's the cat herding. It's the reaching out. It's the making decisions.

Anyway, again, I tread carefully around telling others how they're best to spend their time, but that's what I've found worked best in the past. "Build it and they will come" for effort is "Lead it and they'll follow when dragged a bit."

If 4 issues is too many for you (Autoholic) to commit to, and the Blitz dies without you (as you're the only one stepped up to lead), then perhaps consider scaling back the scope to something you are interested in committing to. Perhaps it's now an annual magazine. Or whatever that bundle of effort is.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It costs about three times as much to print the PDF locally than what we get from MagCloud. Also, people chose if they want print or PDF. About 2/3rds prefer print.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you put out a call for articles, you might get some ethereal responses. If you call out specific people "Gordo, can you write an article, 300-500 words before Dec 31 about the first car show you ever took your GT to?", "X, can you write 300-500 words about your headlight mod and take 3 or 4 pictures before Dec 31?" ... just about everyone says yes. 1/2 of them will do it. 1/2 of them you nag the week before and ask them to get started tonight, and submit whatever they can by Dec 31. Most of those will do it, some will get rolled into next issue. Someone calling the shots isn't being bossy, it's the decision-making that is hard to do. Not "sometime", not "about something", decide all that ahead of time. And that's most of the time, it's the cat herding. It's the reaching out. It's the making decisions.
All good points, and I have done both. I ask if anyone wants to see their car on the cover, just send a photo, and I got one. When I ask specific people for a specific article based on something they just did, I have more success, but far from every time.

Roy Moulton today told me some people can't cook, but they still like to eat. Contributing to the newsletter would be the cooking part, receiving the Blitz the eating part. I've always made it clear that I can handle anything anyone sends, and pretty much whatever form they send it as. I even bought a phone recorder for this. There are no barriers, really.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don’t want anyone to think I’m saying others need to step up.
And to be clear, those comments weren't a critique of your behavior, they were me being openly cautious about my own. I.E. You volunteered to step up and play some sort of role, and I was treading lightly around suggesting the way you might have best success doing that. Lightly especially as I was not volunteering to do the work. Analogously, I didn't want: "I went out and bought burgers out of my own pocket and I'm going to cook for the whole team today!", "Burgers? Ugh, you should've bought only 75 burgers and instead bought 75 hotdogs. That's the right way to do a BBQ. Then people who don't like burgers can have hotdogs and even though you're going to throw away 50 extras now, at least most people will get to choose what they want. You should go back and buy the hotdogs." Well no, that's being a jerk.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the finer details will be sorted out over breakfast soon here in Abq. But, there is some good news. David Poehlein will be editor and I will be the treasurer, and help out with the Blitz. More details are still to be worked out, but that's the big picture.
Has this been finalized by the officers?

Rick Graham also expressed an interest in being treasurer.

Folks gotta run this through Paul Kaman.

Mike

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
Has this been finalized by the officers?

Rick Graham also expressed an interest in being treasurer.

Folks gotta run this through Paul Kaman.

Mike
I emailed all 3 with the offer. I heard back from Dennis he is looking to hear more. We can always add to the team. My role doesn’t have to be treasurer.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul Kaman is moving now and does not have his computer up and running. His phone is - 360-463-0947

I spoke to him today and he has not heard from anyone about the editor's job, probably because his computer is not up. He has heard from Rick Graham who is interested in the treasurer's job. Rick is a past president of OMC, past editor of The Blitz, and has been a member for many decades. I'll be talking to Richard Counsil, current treasurer, tonight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts