Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Kaman, President of OMC, is sending out this call for a new editor and treasurer for OMC.

Greetings to all in OMC

Soon Mike Meier will no longer be the editor of The Blitz. You and I owe him a big "Thank You" for the many hours and words he has devoted to our club's publication. Mike's work has raised the bar of our newsletter to that of a full-color, glossy, top-notch, quarterly magazine. Now we are faced with the job of finding a replacement editor for Mike. No small task. Months ago I formed an editor candidate committee to search for candidates. I hate to tell you, but they came up dry. I'm not too surprised, as anyone stepping into Mike's shoes would be looking at the very high standards of their predecessor. The point here is, we need a newsletter, something that helps keep OMC connected.

If you've not been contacted by our committee to be editor of The Blitz and you have aspirations to be the Editor of The Blitz, now is the time to step forward. You are needed. Mike will guide and get you set up with the printer, etc. Everyone else who wants to have an article in The Blitz had better get it together quickly and get it in because there might not be any more after the first of the year.

Richard Counsil our Club Treasurer is also retiring. I spoke with Dick and he's got more than 23 years in, in this post, and he hasn't had an Opel in a long time, plus he's 83 years old. It's time to step up for this position. In Richard's words, "If an Editor cannot be found, it may be time to pull the curtains and turn out the lights." The same could be said if we don't also find a new treasurer.

If you'd like to help OMC survive, submit your name to:
Sincerely, Paul Kaman
President, OMC

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Hey Mike,

I’ve been thinking about this and as one of the younger club members, I feel like maybe the younger members need to step up if we want it to continue. I want to help but I wouldn’t be comfortable handling this by myself. Most magazines do not have one editor. Maybe it is time the Blitz has multiple. I think if we had 4 editors, tasked with putting together one issue each as the point man for that issue, this would make it easy. Each editor would have a whole year to put together the content. A chief editor could be the person who gets it sent in and posted.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have proposed that. That's what the club in the Netherlands does. It might work, but now we need to attract four people.

It would still need that central person to assemble the whole thing and distribute it.

And not just the younger members should step up.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
Mike, I may not have said it in the past, but thank you.

What you’ve done for the past decade is no easy task. I’ve run my own newsletter and there’s nothing worse than a deadline and nothing to print!

I ashamedly have not produced any articles for the past 15 years, though prior to that I did manage to write 30-odd articles for various publications. Maybe I was burnt out? Maybe you’re burnt out (or should be).

Anyway, regardless of how this turns out, OMC or no OMC…Blitz or no Blitz, you’ve certainly earned yourself a vacation from your one-man show.

Thanks again.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
I’d be willing to be an editor, maybe even chief editor. We would need 3 other people for this idea to work and I think it would work really well. It shouldn’t be that hard to create and find content for 40 pages if you have a whole year to do it once we’re in a pattern. As long as each editor does their part. It would be a shame to see the OMC fizzle out. We have enough active members to pull this off. Just imagine Gordon’s yearly issue, how colorful and interesting that could be - might even be everyone’s favorite issues. Or Kyler’s yearly issue, full of auto cross and tuning. Or RallyBob’s yearly issue, discussing the finer points of building a better CIH. I know I just volunteered some of our regulars but imagine the possibilities?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d be willing to be an editor, maybe even chief editor. We would need 3 other people for this idea to work and I think it would work really well. It shouldn’t be that hard to create and find content for 40 pages if you have a whole year to do it once we’re in a pattern. As long as each editor does their part. It would be a shame to see the OMC fizzle out. We have enough active members to pull this off. Just imagine Gordon’s yearly issue, how colorful and interesting that could be - might even be everyone’s favorite issues. Or Kyler’s yearly issue, full of auto cross and tuning. Or RallyBob’s yearly issue, discussing the finer points of building a better CIH. I know I just volunteered some of our regulars but imagine the possibilities?
Gordon, Charles, and Kyler would make excellent candidates.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
With enough time, I could find topics worth writing about that I think others would find worth reading. I already plan to document my restoration and I'm getting close to starting with my 2.4 build. I need the shelf space if I'm going to remove everything on/in my GT at some point. I'd hate to see the Blitz and OMC come to an end. It's a bad omen for the community. I'll help if others will too, it needs to be a team. Mike, you did an awesome job being the captain and crew of your own vessel. The Blitz deserves a new chapter and you deserve to relax.

I believe the only way the OMC and the Blitz will survive moving forward is if it's an editor team. Just having one person do it is a pretty tough job and why no one has been found. I know that's why I'm not interested in being the only person behind it. I believe I can manage a decent issue once a year in content and I think that is a task many of our members could do. I'm pretty good with technology, photoshop, etc so I'm not worried about that side of this. It's the content worthy of the community that would be a struggle.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just stray thoughts, having been in the role of volunteer, editor, writer, etc in many places before...

There's almost always people willing to "help out if something's needed", but something like this needs a leader. It needs someone who takes ownership over it and to get it done. This can even be the kind of thing where you have 500% of the effort you need, but it won't happen until someone be's the leader over it and takes some benevolent authority. So you're definitely on the right track.

The usual way the cycle of volunteering works is that you have a president. President is in charge of the vision of the organization, and also for making everything happen. Not doing all the work, but gathering the people and coordinating the efforts to get it done. The cat herder.

So then you have a vice president. What's the vice president do? Oh nothing. They're just there to fill in for the president if they can't be around, or to help out once in a while. And it looks good on a resume, and who can't use a little pat on the back once in a while? So it's easy to get someone to step up to be the vice president.

Once the president has found someone to be vice president, they wait a tasteful amount of time and to make sure the VP actually helps out now and then, and then they resign as president. This surprises everyone but automatically promotes the vice president into the presidential duty, which they begrudgingly hold because they care and it's not too bad and they even manage to enjoy it for a while. This until people have kind of forgotten about how that happened, and someone new and gullible takes the bait of signing up to be the vice president because it's a pretty easy job, just fill in for the president and help out once in a while. Usually it's 2-4 years.

I'm kind of joking, but not really. I've seen this in churches, condo boards, non-profits, scouts, legions, sewing clubs, book clubs, art clubs, newsletters... there's no book on this, but everyone eventually gets the same idea on how to phase their way out.

Y'all dun messed up by asking someone to replace you instead of just saying you "need a VP to help out once in a while" :D Too honest.

The future of the Blitz can take many forms. But just to throw this out there, it doesn't have to be a quarterly rag, it could be biannual, or annual. If it has to fall apart, if there's not enough passion or effort to keep it going, don't say no to what effort there is or could be, just because it's not enough for what used to be. I suspect its readers are not nickle and diming, hemming and hawing. They're glad for whatever efforts are put forth. Whatever density feels appropriate for the amount of content that can be created. If there's enough stories to tell, then the editing is easy (ier).

It's probably easiest to recruit from the pages of the mag itself. Recruit from within. Those will be the people most passionate about pushing it forward.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Much agreed. Leadership is needed, is vital. When I got involved in OMC back in 2012 the first thing I did was reach out to the officers plus the heads of all the regional chapters, and the only reply I got was from our treasurer, and since them he and I have been the only two active officers, except for Gil who put on the 2015 Nationals/35th Anniversary Picnic.

It took me a while to realize I was pretty much on my own, so I pushed on, on my own, mindful of my duties, the budget, and so on. Richard has supported me all this time, and together we got it done.

Louis van Steem emailed me today and he described the situation with his club in The Netherlands. Getting the membership to participate wasn't working, so they came up with the model being discussed here, that there be four editors who collected and wrote stories and submitted it all to the person who would assemble and distribute each issue. At first this was a paid individual who worked at the shop that printed their newsletters, but eventually one of the members took over that job, saving the club a lot of money.

The thing with having four editors was if one dropped out finding a replacement was not terribly difficult.

The newsletter the Netherlands folks put out is very nice. Full color, professionally laid out using proper publishing layout software, nice advertisements, the whole thing. At first I tried Microsoft Publish and got frustrated with it. I gave it up, concluding it was just a "box" program, one where you designed each page using boxes, and dumped your content into the boxes. My problem was content was being created and revised all the way up to the time the issue was to go out, so I reverted to using a word processor, which are more capable that you'd expect. Granted, the newsletter I put our used a simple 2-column layout and looked more like a scientific journal than a magazine, but it worked.

I think the four-editor model can work, but now OMC will be depending on four people to get the job done, and yes, some cat herding will have to be done.

Another idea I had was, if people don't step up but still want to keep the club going in some form, was to stop collecting dues, stop putting out a newsletter, and instead, when someone has a story they want to tell, or a technical article they want to share, or a announcement or recap of an event, we could maintain our emailing list and send out single-article emails whenever something is submitted for publication.

Whatever happens, I still plan to complete the DVD/Thumb drive project I was calling "The Collection". Most of the coding is done and it all works when hosted on a server. It will include photos and stuff from events past, along with a searchable and sort-able index that will allow people to find the issue they want and download it, for free. If they want a print edition, those will be available through MagCoud for about half the cost of what it would cost to print it at home. My grand plan was to, when this one was finished, to do the same for publications from past groups.

Mike

P.S. Joe, I've never, mostly never, had a problem coming up with ideas for articles. My problem has been finding the time and sometimes money to investigate the issue and write about it.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
I believe they started out by looking within for a new editor. Nothing came up.

I think it would be best to find the team to make this happen and then figure out who leads it. I’m open to that role, if there are others who will help and don’t want that role themselves.

Finding the time is really why 4 people is needed if we want to keep the Blitz working the same way.

i already have a few things I’d write about.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
If we can keep the Blitz going, I have an idea that could be pretty cool. Maybe every issue, there is a random drawing of OMC members where someone wins something. That value or item would be provided by a company that would get a page to advertise in exchange. Or something along those lines. I think that would drum up some interest to keep it going. Editors would get say 2 entries in compensation for the issue they tackle. Obviously the details aren’t ironed out yet. But it’s unique and engaging. You’d have to read the issue to find out if you won.

For the company that sponsors it, they get advertising, good publicity, and a future sale out of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts