Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Defector
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on getting a tatoo soon, i just cant resist the urge any longer. but i dont want something ill only find interesting now and not later in life. so i can think of nothing else but something Opel related.

the Blitz would be cool, but where? im thinking ''Rüsselsheim'' across the left side of my chest. anyone here have an opel related tatoo? sound off!!! gimme your ideas and experiences under the needle n all that jazz

thx,
Reis

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Reis;
The only one right off hand that has had this done is "Mike Preble" Why he did it is anyone's guess, but, it may have to do with all those cross-country trips, maybe, who knows:lmao: :lmao:

·
Living in the past
2,305 Posts
"Opel tatoo"

The one that comes to mind is the winged Opel insignia (seen on ebay patches) besides if you ever tire of the Opel thing later in life you can always say "Opel" was an old girlfriend and she was an angle hence the wings:D There are several options that can be added to that design such as flames, list of models owned etc. good luck

·
392 Posts
Okay, I am awake and able to defend myself. I have a number of Tats on my body and yes, I do have the Opel blitz on my right calf. And yes, I have been told that I am crazy. My younger brother has had his for well over 20 years on his left deltoid. The calf was the worst place to get a tattoo as it is very sensative but it was virgin territory and with shorts on it is always there in view. But work requires no visible tattoos so when I am dressed in scrubs you can't see any of mine.

Remember, they are permanent and. They will outlast marriages, girlfriends and fads.

Mike

·
Opel Key Master
5,078 Posts
Don't do it

Don't be a bum like Mike, he is in the Opel gutter....ha ha. Remeber this, although now you say you love Opels and will never get out of them, people change no matter what. As mike said they outlast everything...even your own personal beliefs at times. I personally do not have any tatoos, and no plans for any. Maybe that day I inherit the Mopars, I may be uninterested in Opels??? Whos to say. You have a good option now because you haven't gotten any is to think seriously about it.
Keith

Mike maybe one day when you get back to Charotte you can punch me for that one and then become a member of the Yellow Mustang Registry for going against a Carolina Opel Club guy. ha

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Some of my buddies went through a tatoo thing years ago. I resisted and I'm glad I did, theirs look a bit silly now IMHO. I once heard G. Gordon Liddy talk about tatoos and piercings, a whole upper vs. lower class thing, Lots to consider.

·
Non Civilian
2,085 Posts
I plan to get a tattoo, also Opel related. Mine will be simple, an Opel Blitz on my left bicep about 3" (7.62 cm) with the lightning bolt arms reach around and touch on the other side. It will be above the T-shirt line.

·
2,054 Posts
... with the lightning bolt arms reach around and touch on the other side...
Wow, Opel-Zen; the end is the beginning in the circle of Opel. Cool.

It's interesting to hear the reasons people get a tatoo, I'm not sure I understand it yet. It's like collecting things - why do people do it, and what do they get out of it?

But an Opel tatoo, sure, why not? Seems as good as anything else, except for something that signifies a major experience in life (especially with a team); such as a stint in special forces, or gold-metal olympic team.

Maybe a logo row of one's favorite cars lining a limb might be cool, starting with the Opel.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
My personal opinion, if anyone cares. It's a "pop culture" thing, a fad, and like other trendy things will fade away. Well at least the idea of having/wanting a tatoo, once you get one, it's there permanently! My Dad got one during WWII, it was the macho thing. As he got older and he lost the tightness of his body, the skin sagged and so did the tatoo. What used to be a dagger turned into a scimitar. It wasn't too pretty to look at. O.K. I'm an old senior citizen and seen fads come and go and it bugs me to see stuff that isn't natural. I really feel sorry for the kids of today that have to go into the work force and be held back by "spur of the moment" trends, that will be out of date in a few years. IDK, just watching the downward spiral of society these days, just gets to me. O.K. I'm off the soapbox.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
As he got older and he lost the tightness of his body, the skin sagged and so did the tatoo. What used to be a dagger turned into a scimitar. It wasn't too pretty to look at.
That's right... Check this out:

SNL Skit

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
I've thought about getting a tatoo for the last few years.

First of all, they're pretty expensive and that's money that I can put elsewhere.:)

Your really young right now. You have your whole life ahead of you and you have a long time to change your mind about the way you feel about a lot of things. You've really only been into Opels for the last year or so and have a lifetime to give them up.

When I was seriously concidering getting a tatoo, I had one thing in mind- get something that doesn't date itself. While Opels are classics, they are probubly only ever going to represent the 60s and 70s. If you get a tatoo, get something that represents you as apossed to something that your into. Or get something that is just body art- arm bands, symbols, words. I wanted to get a realistic animal tatoo. Animals have been around for centuries and hopefully will not die out in my lifetime.

·
392 Posts
I got my first major tattoo for my 50th birthday. Every one of mine has a meaning to me. I have a large dragon on right shoulder and down my back, My family crest on my left shoulder with my childrens names under it, A P-38 airplane on my back as that was my fathers plane he flew in WWII, ect...To me it is art. Each one designed buy me for me. Fad? I think not as they are hidden most of the time and only shown when I want someone to see it. Not everyone gets to see the art on my walls inside my house or the cars in my back yard. A true art lover doesn't have to understand why we do it but interpret it to how it makes him/her feel. As has been said many times on this site, keep an open mind to someone elses "art".

Time to get off MY soap box.

Mike

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
i got my first tattoo just over a year ago on my left bicep. it is a cross with praying hands and a rosary with my grandparents initals. it took about 2 1/2 hours. definately one thing to remember dont get a big one for the first one. its a long time in the chair, but i didnt think that it hurt at all. kinda relaxing.

·
335 Posts
It's strictly a personal choice, just as the people who may hire you in the future will have a choice.

Just a quick story; a few years ago one of the guys I fly with decided to apply to a JAL, Japan Airlines as a flight engineer. He got through the whole three interview process only to be turned down. Not fearing lawyers as an American company would, the interviewer explained that he had failed the interview because of a very small tattoo on his hand. Surprised he asked what that had to do with his capabilities as a flight engineer. The interviewer explained that it showed "poor decision making skills".

Now, this is their words not mine, those of you have tats and love them, great. I'm only pointing out that others may see them differently. Regards in whatever choice you make.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Do whatever you want.......just think about it carefully before you take the plunge and dont get a fire breathing devil standing on a pile of skulls or somthing real tacky that you'll regret later in life. To each his own and its not fair to say that its unprofessional or a contribution to the decline of todays socieity......they have been around for thousands of years and are a form of expression and art. No different than chosing an opel to restore and drive...its who you are and what makes you happy. And if someone doesnt like it....^&#@ em........ Oh....and NEVER..NEVER get a girls (unless its your daughter)name tatooed on you!!!
JMO
Joe

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
and definately make sure it is done by someone who is good, ya it is expensive but u know the saying...You get what you pay for.

·
Living in the past
2,305 Posts
Tatoo's for you or not

It's strictly a personal choice, just as the people who may hire you in the future will have a choice.

Just a quick story; a few years ago one of the guys I fly with decided to apply to a JAL, Japan Airlines as a flight engineer. He got through the whole three interview process only to be turned down. Not fearing lawyers as an American company would, the interviewer explained that he had failed the interview because of a very small tattoo on his hand. Surprised he asked what that had to do with his capabilities as a flight engineer. The interviewer explained that it showed "poor decision making skills".

Now, this is their words not mine, those of you have tats and love them, great. I'm only pointing out that others may see them differently. Regards in whatever choice you make.
I, like many other former members of the armed forces, have two tatoo's one on my forearm and one on my left calf. While I think it is strickly a personal choice and one not to be made in haste, if they are not obscene and offensive to others it should not be of concern to anyone else. One of mine in a unit insigina and a reminder of those who I fought along side of and in memory of those that did not make the return trip. If someone would not give me a job because of something as trival as a tatoo then I don't think I would wany to work there anyway, I wouldn't fit in and would wind up leaving anyway. Besides a half-drunk 19 year old sailor cannot be held responsibly for everything he does:yup: :haha:

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
If the ramblings of drunkards are to be believed, then any tattoo that wraps around the body, and connects, to form a full loop, will effectively trap the soul in the body for all eternity.

I once considered a tattoo, specifically the tattoo carried by Sean Penn in Mystic River, it's a celtic cross covering across the shoulder blades and from the top of the neck to the base of the spine. I am an Irish-American and at the time I was living Boston, although I was never involved in any sort of any of the activities represented in that movie. The same holds true for The Departed and The Boondock Saints (those boys have some cool tattoos). But alas, I am not cursed to avenge the death of my daughter, nor am I a Bulger, nor a twin given a message from the lord to be called with thy saints surrounded.

I am just a geek.

And although I am proud of heritage and of my faith, I was not prepared for the symbolism, nor the real burden of bearing a cross on my back, for all eternity. :no:

·
2,054 Posts
I wouldn't mind having my eyebrows tattooed darker. With mostly Irish blood, my hair started going white in my 20s. Now, in my 50s it looks like I don't have any eyebrows left.

But hey! The most relevant question here is:
What tatoo would you put on your Opel? I'd like a stars & stripes draped over the hood and down the fenders with a screaming eagle superimposed on top.

Whoa - kind of like my avatar, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts