Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you got a GT and live in the UK or Southern Ireland?

If the answers 'yes' then your welcome to join in our own little forum. Of course you should always remember that the UK Opel GT Owners Club is also out there to help, but you'll no doubt find that this wonderful site will help with questions and queries relating to anything GT and is a great way to keep in touch with whats going on in the GT world.

What's more you'll also be able to help develop the database of all GT's by supplying just a few important details regarding your car and finally you can always join in with any of the other forums listed and this will be a great way to keep in touch with the world wide GT community.

So come on, Log in and post any questions you may have, some one out there is sure to answer.

·
Opeler
343 Posts
Took your advice and joined this US site about 3 weeks ago. The site has helped me with a brake problem I had, and I have also helped others.

1969 GT AL 1.9L Red with Tan leather interior. Webber and Alloys, exept from that its stock.

Chassis No. 941884712
Reg No (UK): BAN 285G

My Car came in from the US 10 years ago and was restored and finished about 2 years ago. Previously owned by a Clayton Bartley of Gainesville FL. Before that it was owned by Ed Robertson or Robinson. Any one know of them? Would like to know some more history.

Great Site

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1970 GT that i have been modifying for the past 2 years...in my spare time, still a year away from completion. I have been undecided about joining your "club" due to the Stories i here from others in the Manta Club. You seem to have the same cars winning each year in the Modified concours. A couple of years ago there was a Brilliant Red GT with Right hand drive and a supurb V6 engine..........I believe it was only placed 2nd to the Blue one with the 16 Valve. I wasnt there last year, but again this year the same Blue one with the 16 Valve was placed 1st..........While the best GT i have ever seen The Red one with Targa Roof and a beautifly Chromed engine, Realy expensive split rims and a Great leather interior was given 2nd place.

·
Opeler
343 Posts
I went to the event you are talking about a couple of years ago. It was the maiden voyage for my GT which I had just spent 5 years and 15K restoring. I must admit I am not a fan of modified GT's I prefer them as they were intended to be.

All the entrants mark each others cars out of 10, in 5 key areas, with the exception of your own vehicle. Out of 5 vehicles in the origional unmodified class, I did not even make the top 3.

I will leave it up to your intelligence to determine the condition of my car, base upon the money and time I spent on it. I must admit I did not expect to win but it was a shock.

It seamed like you have already stated, the same old people win every year and there is a very close nit sub group within the club.

Fair play to the Uk owners club, I have made some good contacts through them, but from the outside they are very uninviting these days. I suppose you get out what you put in.

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
Umm... Guys, lets keep negative personal comments away from these forums. Mark is the Editor for the club not the whole club. Maybe he can bring the voting issue up during one of their meetings.

For what it is worth, most "participant only judged" shows I have been to have their "I'll vote for you, if you vote for me" groups. So the best car doesn't always win.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gary, thats a fair comment, that also happens here in other clubs.
Trouble is when there are small clubs run by a small group. The total no of cars a the UK GT concours on the Sunday to decide which the best cars are there were only 7 or eight cars total for the 3 categories Origional, Standard, Modified.

The reason that other GT Owners in the UK will not /do not attend or join the club is because of this fixing of concours winners

·
Opeler
343 Posts
I know Motormouth and personally he does a lot for the club. I hope he continues to do so. I agree, negative comments towards him are unjustified.

The (UK) club as a whole needs more input from members and needs to attract and keep all GT owners in the UK. Being a member of a club is not about just paying your subs and expecting to do nothing. I am guilty of this, as are many.

·
102 Posts
Manta Exclusive said:
The reason that other GT Owners in the UK will not /do not attend or join the club is because of this fixing of concours winners
Excuse my ignorance, is there a prize money in these concours?
Or just simple recognition?

If so, I thought we opel owners were not in for the money!
and as far as recognition, I get plenty of that when I'm driving my GT.

:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yea, I know what you mean. I like to go to car clubs to see nice examples of the club cars. Not some beatup daily driver. I can see those on the road everyday. I personally enjoy a club where the members pride themselves on improving their car a little every year. It only make it worse if the club has a small "clique" that only votes for each other. It doesn't promote any competition. Look at the OMC's club. I've never been to it, but from what I've seen they have a lot of nice cars that show up. It looks to me like the members pride themselves on building a nice example of the Opel. That is the sort of competition that makes OTHER people want to make there car look nice. The result is a large field of beautiful cars. But it wouldn't happen if the same car won every year no matter what you did to your car to out-do last years winner. It would get old quick, and some would stop going to the club all together.

I always thought if there were a few trick cars that always won, it would promote others to fix theirs up too. It just sucks when you do and the old winning cars STILL win, no matter what you do to yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading the thread this far I felt I ought to comment.
There are some interesting comments and opinions in this discussion. However here are the facts.
1. The red GT targa which never won and always came second, actually won for 3 years I recall. The blue 16valve came second for 3 or 4 years.
2. The red GT V6 wasnt, it was a V8. and yes it did cost a lot of money.
3. money is not what owning a GT should be about, it is enjoying your GT.
4. It should be about enjoying and participating with your club.
5. It should not be about cleaning your car away in a corner until half an hour before the judging and then turning up.
6. The judging of anything is purely subjective.
7. If you dont win, take it well, if you dont your a bad sportman/woman.
8. All enthusiasts are welcome to our club, no one is turned away.

M

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for those positive comments Martyn and for those people who have contacted me privately giving their support for the UK Opel GT Owners Club.

As has been mentioned before I do indeed do a great deal for the club and have been a member for the last 17yrs, joining at the tender age of 15 and throughout that time I have given nothing but 100% support. This by right therefore means that I have built up a close network of friends in the club and am respected by many as are all of those who contribute to the club in whatever small way they can, this does not mean that we are a clique and you would do well realise this if you ever made the effort to come and chat to us.......members of a Dutch touring group, Autobahnstormers, Vauxhall Opel Group et al would verify this.

Anyone wishing to know anything about Opel GT's will always get a warm welcome from me and so to get back onto the original track of this thread........
Have you got a GT and live in the UK or Southern Ireland?
If the answers 'yes' then your more than welcome to join in this thread or contact the club through the club website.

www.opelgt.org.uk

We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

·
Super Moderator
5,644 Posts
I am a bit late reading this thread (since I just returned from the OMC Picnic in Huntington Beach California and places beyond), but I concur with Gary (and it ISN'T just because this is his site!). Keep the trash talking to yourselves. Any further negative comments regarding members on this thread (or on this board) will result in the thread being closed. Further violations will result in swift and irrevocable actions against the perpetrators, including censure.

Now play nicely.

·
77 Posts
Hi,

Late to the forum, next big meet for the VBOA is in Sept.

To quote "The judging of anything is purely subjective", if you make it "objective" can any GT win? Chrome on orginal GT look like stainless Steel ! who hasn't had an engine rebuild. "Concours" means as left the manufacture. If you dont join the the club you are disadvantaged in obtaining spares as Motormouth does a good job in finding discounted deals. Thanks to OGTS for providing those imposible parts. I paid recently 100 euros for an org left numberplate lens.

Rember only love and money keeps GT's Flying

PS if Your From the UK or The South of Ireland join our very friendly Club

·
Registered
1 Posts
Irish GT?
Hi everyone,
I hope someone may be able to help me or point me in the right direction.
I have a GT which had a UK reg YKM549J which dates from June 1971, however my car was built in 1969 (confirmed by the club).
I'm thinking that perhaps my car was originally sold new in Ireland in 1969 and exported to the UK when it was less than 2 years old.
I believe 4 cars were sold new in Ireland but I have no further information than that and the importers don't have records going back that far.
On the V5 there is no mention of a previous registration number or where the car originated from.
I imported the car into Ireland a few years ago but am only starting it's restoration now so I will have to register it here or if I can get proof it was an original Irish car I might be able to apply to have its original plate returned.
Does anyone know where I could find out where my GT was sent to when it left the factory?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Brendan O'Shea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts