Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to put my cylinder head back onto my engine and I can't seem to get the cam sprocket onto the camshaft. I can't seem to raise the sprocket high enough to slide onto the camshaft. I tried gently to use screwdriver but I was afraid if this is the wrong thing to do.

Is there a secret to this?

I've removed the head to investigate the timing chain and all seems correct. But then this is my first time. So I wouldn't know if something was amiss if it was right in front of me.

I was hoping to have my car running today. Please help.

TIA

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
Back off the spring-loaded hydraulic tensioner on the side of the timing cover. I imagine you did a lot of swearing trying to get that sucker in place while under tension!

Bob

433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
RallyBob said:
Back off the spring-loaded hydraulic tensioner on the side of the timing cover. I imagine you did a lot of swearing trying to get that sucker in place while under tension!

Bob
You got that right Bob...about the swearing. :) Thanks for the tip. Which side might the tensioner be on? Driver side or passenger side? And will I need a special tool to back this off?

Thanks again,

Manny

PS. Once the sprocket is back on the camshaft, will I need to tighten the tension?

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
gtzero said:
You got that right Bob...about the swearing. :) Thanks for the tip. Which side might the tensioner be on? Driver side or passenger side? And will I need a special tool to back this off?

Thanks again,

Manny
Passenger side, big socket....27mm!

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
gtzero said:
PS. Once the sprocket is back on the camshaft, will I need to tighten the tension?
Yes, just tighten it 'til it's tight. It's sealed under the head of the tensioner by a copper washer, so it needs some 'crush'.

Bob

· Registered
2,731 Posts
It's a big plug on the right side of the timing cover, a big wrench or socket will back it out, with it comes a spring and piston. With it removed your chain is sloppy enough to put the gear on, then just screw the plug assembly back in place snugly. No adjustment, your engine oil pressure does the adjusting.

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
as bob had stated, a 27MM, i dont happen to have a 27MM socket but a 1 inch works pretty good.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
There are TWO big hex plugs on the side of the timing cover - the upper one is the timing chain tensioner - pic attached. The lower one is the oil pressure regulating valve (that is not used when the oil pump has a relief valve in it...)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.