Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to put my cylinder head back onto my engine and I can't seem to get the cam sprocket onto the camshaft. I can't seem to raise the sprocket high enough to slide onto the camshaft. I tried gently to use screwdriver but I was afraid if this is the wrong thing to do.

Is there a secret to this?

I've removed the head to investigate the timing chain and all seems correct. But then this is my first time. So I wouldn't know if something was amiss if it was right in front of me.

I was hoping to have my car running today. Please help.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Back off the spring-loaded hydraulic tensioner on the side of the timing cover. I imagine you did a lot of swearing trying to get that sucker in place while under tension!

Bob

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
RallyBob said:
Back off the spring-loaded hydraulic tensioner on the side of the timing cover. I imagine you did a lot of swearing trying to get that sucker in place while under tension!

Bob
You got that right Bob...about the swearing. :) Thanks for the tip. Which side might the tensioner be on? Driver side or passenger side? And will I need a special tool to back this off?

Thanks again,

Manny

PS. Once the sprocket is back on the camshaft, will I need to tighten the tension?

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
gtzero said:
You got that right Bob...about the swearing. :) Thanks for the tip. Which side might the tensioner be on? Driver side or passenger side? And will I need a special tool to back this off?

Thanks again,

Manny
Passenger side, big socket....27mm!

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
gtzero said:
PS. Once the sprocket is back on the camshaft, will I need to tighten the tension?
Yes, just tighten it 'til it's tight. It's sealed under the head of the tensioner by a copper washer, so it needs some 'crush'.

Bob

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys

Thanks to Bob & Jeff. I might just be able to get my car running today. :)

Later,

Manny

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
as bob had stated, a 27MM, i dont happen to have a 27MM socket but a 1 inch works pretty good.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
There are TWO big hex plugs on the side of the timing cover - the upper one is the timing chain tensioner - pic attached. The lower one is the oil pressure regulating valve (that is not used when the oil pump has a relief valve in it...)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts