Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help!!! how do i get this darn cam out of this head. (1.9L) also, should the 3 head bolts beside cam (10 bolt head) not be able to come out because of the cam, or is mine just messed up? any help would be appreciated!

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
If you are trying to get the head off the motor, you are going to need to turn the motor over until the detents on the cam line up with the bolts that you are trying to remove.

·
Opeler
87 Posts
cam

what madhatter said.cam will not come out with bolts still in head.
the cam bearings get smaller as you move to rear of head so cam only comws out front.take side cover off so you can reach in and support cam so as not to damage bearings or lobes.keep lifters in order if you are going to reuse cam and lifters.if you mix them up but all else is good(no worn lobes or lifters you can pur a new finish on the lobes and lifter with 600/1000 grit--bet to use worn out emery cloth.they will usualy reseat just fine.moly assy lube on lobe/lifter is a good idea.dont use to much as it can stop up filters.
worn cam bearings can cause low oil pressure.
Good luck
David

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cam Notches

There are notches cast into the cam in the appropriate places to let the head bolts be removed. The cam must be correctly positioned to line them up - when the front cam drive sprocket locating dowel is at 12 o'clock they are lined up correctly.
Be aware that the valves stick down below the head surface when they are opened so:
1) DON'T turn the cam over without the drive chain while the head is on the motor or the valves will hit the pistons and BEND!
2) When the head is off make sure that the head is not "plunked" down on the workbench on its cylinder face - or the open valves will be BENT!

Here is a picture of a CIH Opel six-cylinder cam which clearly shows the cast notches facing you - don't have a pic of a four cylinder one but they are similar - only shorter. ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Hmmmmm . . .

GTJIM said:
There are notches cast into the cam in the appropriate places to let the head bolts be removed. The cam must be correctly positioned to line them up - when the front cam drive sprocket locating dowel is at 12 o'clock they are lined up correctly.
Be aware that the valves stick down below the head surface when they are opened so:
1) DON'T turn the cam over without the drive chain while the head is on the motor or the valves will hit the pistons and BEND!
2) When the head is off make sure that the head is not "plunked" down on the workbench on its cylinder face - or the open valves will be BENT!

Here is a picture of a CIH Opel six-cylinder cam which clearly shows the cast notches facing you - don't have a pic of a four cylinder one but they are similar - only shorter. ;)
I see that your "best girl" actually lets you put engine parts on your bed's comforter?!! :eek:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
As My Father used to Say....

tekenaar said:
I see that your "best girl" actually lets you put engine parts on your bed's comforter?!! :eek:
"I am the Master in this house - and I WON"T come out from under the bed!" :p

Actually it is on the bed over at my workshop - sometimes it is not safe to go home ....... ;)

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
exactly what do you work on in your workshop :rolleyes:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Opel ON!

markandson said:
exactly what do you work on in your workshop :rolleyes:
"Opel" till I drop - then crawl to the bed; throw the car parts off and SLEEP!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts