Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I acquired a new factory Opel 2.0L camshaft. The unit is a 4 bearing cam. The first bearing surface does not have an oil groove cut into the face. The bearings in the head that will be used have no oil channel either. Is it necessary to have an oil control groove machined into the surface of the cam journal? Is this possible using the dimensions from a 1.9L camshaft? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Dave

·
13,138 Posts
David McCollam said:
Recently, I acquired a new factory Opel 2.0L camshaft. The unit is a 4 bearing cam. The first bearing surface does not have an oil groove cut into the face. The bearings in the head that will be used have no oil channel either. Is it necessary to have an oil control groove machined into the surface of the cam journal? Is this possible using the dimensions from a 1.9L camshaft? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Dave
You will either have to machine the cam with an oil groove, or machine the head and install a 2.0 front cam bearing. Otherwise, there will be no oil flow to the rocker arms and cam. They redesigned the Opel head oiling in the late '70's as you can see...

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Hello,
The change was at 20S-0665091, if you have a plain front bearing, you will need to machine a full circle groove in the cam front bearing.
GM supplies two alternative cams, with and without groove.
It is possible to press in a new *grooved* front bearing so you can use the plain bearing cam. If the cam has a small *bump* cast into it between the 3rd and 4th bearings, you have a chilled cast iron cam that will need hydraulic tappets with induction hardened bottoms, these have a groove along the lower bit of the barrel for indentification.
AFAIK, all new cams are cast iron since 1982.
Have a good week.

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Thanks guys. I have sent an email to OGTS to inquire about the 2.0L cam bearings with an oil control groove in the front bearing. If no luck, I'll go with machining the front camshaft journal. I also need a 2.0L head gasket. I'll see if OGTS has the Elring gasket with the additional pre-punched water circulation holes.:)

Dave

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Thanks guys. I have sent an email to OGTS to inquire about the 2.0L cam bearings with an oil control groove in the front bearing. If no luck, I'll go with machining the front camshaft journal. I also need a 2.0L head gasket. I'll see if OGTS has the Elring gasket with the additional pre-punched water circulation holes.
Dave
Hello,
I have only seen GOETZE and REINZ gaskets around here for the Opel CIH, I think REINZ is the best bet because it has a neat *printed* silicone seal along the outside perimeter and filled in sections around the water bores between the block and head, very much like the FELPRO gasket you guys have in the US. The GOETZE was like the GM part that I used on the old 19S engine about 25 years ago, just a uniform brown colour.
ELRING looks like you may have to buy it off the German E-bay.
Have a good week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts