Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing the camshaft in my 2.0L with one of the camshafts Opel GT Source offers. I am leaning toward the "Combination" camshaft with .430" lift 268 deg duration. Does anyone have one installed in a 1.9L or 2.0L that can comment on idle quality and drivability as well as any noticeable performance gains?

Thanks, Brian

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
I am contemplating this exact issue on the '75 engine I am building for my GT. I am acquiring a set of flat-top pistons from RallyBob (aka Bob Legere) and I have a choice of either a 32/36 DGAV or a 38 DGAS, so I asked him what his recommendation would be (either the Combination cam or the Torquer from OGTS), and here was his answer:

> 2) HP "Torquer" .407" lift, 256 duration. Specify
> solid or hydraulic grind.
> 1.9L-2.4L. Good for street application.

*****I think this cam will best suit your needs.
Smoothest idle, a bit more power than stock.

He also recommended the 38 DGAS, even though my engine won't be particularly modified (i.e. slightly ported intake manifold, but standard valves, hydraulic lifters, standard flywheel etc.) so long as I take the time to jet it correctly.

JM2CW

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
bq97 said:
I am thinking of replacing the camshaft in my 2.0L with one of the camshafts Opel GT Source offers. I am leaning toward the "Combination" camshaft with .430" lift 268 deg duration. Does anyone have one installed in a 1.9L or 2.0L that can comment on idle quality and drivability as well as any noticeable performance gains?

Thanks, Brian
Did this exact thing in 1978 - 80 with an Isky OR-66 HYD regrind (.420" lift, 268 deg spec) on a late 12 bolt head with a Norris #1400 outer, #1065 inner spring set and spacers to replace the exhaust rotators. Head has oversize valves and was port matched using I/E gasket as template.

Used W7BC plugs fired by '75 distributor with Perlux (Pertronix) trigger, MSD5 and "tan top" Bosch coil through Mallory 8mm solid core wires. Used Mahle flat tops and converted to '75 FI and sprint exhaust with 2" pipe back from the junction of the downpipes, 2" in/out JCW 13" Turbo muffler, 2" over rear axle to modified "twin outlet" resonator.

Nice power increase and very responsive to throttle. GREAT gas mileage even with just the 4-speed still in it. NO ENGINE MAINTENANCE SINCE . . . other than fluids and filters.

·
335 Posts
tekenaar, What is the idle like, is there much lope to it?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Washout said:
tekenaar, What is the idle like, is there much lope to it?
Hardly any different from stock other than ~100 RPM higher idle speed . . . personal preference.
:cool:

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I too, installed the Isky OR-66 cam back in 1990. I installed it into my 75 Manta, w/ flat top pistons, stock valves and tubular (crappy unequal length) header. Car ran great with no change in idle quality or idle RPM.

However, It was recommended to me by the "Opel Jedi Master" (aka RallyBob) to use a different cam grind for the "Next Step Up" in a stock FI engine. His cam grind has 112 vs 110 Centerline, and 6 degrees LESS Exhaust duration. Present engine mods include 42 mm Intake valves, bowl and guide work, Total Seal Gapless rings, Head milling for a True 9.3 - 9.5:1 compression ratio.

For a carburated version, the recommendation in the past has been to use a 108 degree Centerline. A cam with MORE intake lift and/or duration the the exhaust lobe helps to improve the Intake to Exhaust flow balance for the Opel CIH engines.

Paul

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Norris Cam

One of the bits and pieces I picked up on EBay was an unused older CIH cam with "Norris 320S" stamped on a flat machined betweem two cam lobes. Norris Performance is still in existance but has no web site so I just wonder if anyone out there has an idea about the type and duration of that particular grind?

The cam is unused but looks to me to be a regrind on an opel core. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Carb upgrade rejetting!

kwilford said:
I am contemplating this exact issue on the '75 engine I am building for my GT. I am acquiring a set of flat-top pistons from RallyBob (aka Bob Legere) and I have a choice of either a 32/36 DGAV or a 38 DGAS, so I asked him what his recommendation would be (either the Combination cam or the Torquer from OGTS), and here was his answer:

> 2) HP "Torquer" .407" lift, 256 duration. Specify
> solid or hydraulic grind.
> 1.9L-2.4L. Good for street application.

*****I think this cam will best suit your needs.
Smoothest idle, a bit more power than stock.

He also recommended the 38 DGAS, even though my engine won't be particularly modified (i.e. slightly ported intake manifold, but standard valves, hydraulic lifters, standard flywheel etc.) so long as I take the time to jet it correctly.

JM2CW

THIS is the final step that many people ignore in their anxiousness to "see how it runs". JUST DO IT!!

·
Opeler
55 Posts
I just installed the (combination) camshaft in my gt. It has a 1.9 head with 2.0 valves and is port matched with a header. It also has a weber 38. I love the power increase from the cam. The response is alot quicker and i can't tell a difference in the idle.

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rank16,

Did you use the stock valve spring or did you use aftermarket springs?

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts