Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· 101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of gasoline soaring upward, is there anything that can be done to the gasoline engine to stretch a drop of the precious liquid? Is there any additive or engine or carburetor mods that can enhance the miles per gallon? I know that the topic of moving ones vehicle from point A to B is on everyone's mind, so lets hear what you have on how to increase our mileage. My family SUV was thirty plus dollars to top off this week. :mad:

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, that'll surely maybe triple his gas mileage, and be lighter on his wallet when he fills up.

Micah, the best advice I have been able to glean out of all the information available after years of motor vehicle operations is this: To obtain the best gas mileage in any vehicle, drive it as though there is an unbroken raw egg on both the gas pedal and the brake pedal and while driving your vehicle, do not break the eggs.

Ron

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
About 1/3 of the vehicles on the road in NZ are now SUVs because everyone thinks they are bigger and safer (wrongly). There has been a sugestion here that registration fees be doubled for them from $219 to $438 per year.
Keep them in tune, drive sensibly and walk if and when you can.

1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, the SUV is just for hauling bodies (week-ends) and stuff. My real questions are, with all our technology today what is or is rumored to advance the gasoline engine other than common sense??? :)

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Rumour

Smaller, lighter cars with composite bodys and hybrid engines. Eventually hydrogen fuel cells to drive the ceramic charging motor with electric propulsion and regenerative braking....

· 4ZUA787
664 Posts
also engines that can selectively choose how many cylinders are needed at a given time so if u are only doing 40 or so it would use 4 out of the 8 cylinders but if u floored it to speed up to 80 it would bring in the other 4, just an example of what the future could be hold i believecadiliac came up with this idea.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
gas can only give us so many calories per CC so we can only get so much energy per CC after you reach the best our technology can get then you have to look for an alternative hydrogen fuel cells look like the way to go,oil will depleat but as the auto industry has so much tied up in the infernal combustion engine they will not strive to replace it
countrys like the US can only put so much of the worlds oil into storage befor the rest of us say enough and you are ostricised and then its ww3 for a resorce that will go soon anyway
whoa sounds like a moderator on about a thread (only kidding keith)

1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What If

What if fifteen to twenty years from now one half of the world oil supply (oil in the ground) dried up and only a third of classic opels were driveable. Based on future per gallon prices, and if your ride was one of the chosen, what would you do????? Convert??
:(

· PrOpeller
705 Posts
Yes, convert to an alcohol-based engine! It wouldn't be the worst thing to do to an Opel GT. So what if you only get half as many mpg's out of a tankful? Alcohol is readily available... it just doesn't have the distribution system of the oil industry.

· Super Moderator
15,246 Posts
Alchohol's for drinking, I'm working on my flux capacitor....... :)

648 Posts
I had a friend that had a 4-6-8 Caddy in 1983 or 84. It was a total POS. Notice they never built them again.

Fuel cells are in use now. They are even running city buses with them in Canada as a test bed. What most people don't relize is that they still use natural gas, which the cell then breaks the hydrogen out of. The hydrogen is efficient and clean. BUT...they do not run on water, as some of the media would like you to believe. So we must still drill for natural gas, even with fuel cells. This keeps Keith and I in a job and buying Opel parts. This is a good thing!

James

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts
i vote Opel start selling horses.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
N61WP said:
I had a friend that had a 4-6-8 Caddy in 1983 or 84. It was a total POS. Notice they never built them again.

Fuel cells are in use now. They are even running city buses with them in Canada as a test bed. What most people don't relize is that they still use natural gas, which the cell then breaks the hydrogen out of. The hydrogen is efficient and clean. BUT...they do not run on water, as some of the media would like you to believe. So we must still drill for natural gas, even with fuel cells. This keeps Keith and I in a job and buying Opel parts. This is a good thing!

James
1) Remember the "4 blank piston kits" thar were sold to fit to V8s to make them into "economical" fours? You could change the holes they were in to get twice the life of the engine!

2)Hydrogen from water requires electrolyis to produce it - using electriciy generated by - wait for it! - oil powered generation :eek:

· Registered
214 Posts
Propane?

We used it on most of our farm trucks. It's, cleaner, the conversion is not too difficult, and you can toggle from propane to gas at your leisure (or if the propane freezes in the tank). The drawback that I can see is propane tank size, and I don't know how well a 4cyl. Opel would run on the stuff...like I stated, we used it on our farm trucks which were 6 or 8cyl.

If I ever had to switch to a diesel or all fuel vehicle, I'd go get a Unimog. They're slow for sure, but traffic has a tendency to part from the path of the venerable Unimog! :eek:

· Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I remember hearing back in the late 60's (or early 70's), that at one time in the past there was a carb design that was bought and buried by the petrolium industry. Designed in the 30's, was supposed to give you 75-100 MPG. Near as I can remember, it used a system to vaporize gas to a high-concentration fume state in stead of fine mist. Just think if we had that system on cars today! :eek: Less pollutants, tankers, oil spills and third world countries with fancy military toys.

· 70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I remember the myth of the 100 mpg carb.

I worked for a guy at a motorcycle shop that was going to wrap a copper tube around his exhaust pipe and run his fuel through it to heat it. That way, when it hit the carb, being heated, it would vaporize quicker and supposedly give better fuel economy.

Don't know if he ever did it. Seems like a good way to become a big pot hole! :eek:

I know EFI is suppose to be pretty proficient with fuel combustion.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.