Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Opel gone bad
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
This about it this way... Those side pipes are supposed to be "High Flow" pipes for big displacement V8s (at least a 5.0L), imagine what it would do to a 1.9L engine? You'd probably get so much HP out of them that it wouldn't be useful. In other words, your torque would only start kicking in at 4k-5k RPM.

If you really want the side pipe look you could hook only one of them up and leave the other one just for looks. Another option is to get some 1-1.25" pipes bent by you local muffler shop and install that chrome grill on the outside. Most muffler shops will do that kind of work for half the price of those pipes, you'll just have to find someone to chrome them later.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
If you restrict the size of the pipe going to the side pipes, you won't have a problem. You have already seen my setup. Go with on and a half or one and three quarters from your manifold to the side pipes. When the exhaust expands into the larger pipe in the side pipes, it softens the sound. I really like the sound of mine and I like the fact that there are only 2 cylinders on each pipe. People ask "what kind of motor is in that thing".

Attachments

· Senior Contributor
901 Posts
From a power standpoint, not only is it important to keep the merger of the exhaust in the head pipe but it's position is very important(in terms of exhaust length). Splitting those pipes is not a good idea...

If you must run side pipes, run a 2" pipe from the merger to ONE of the pipes and keep the other one just for show. The problem is going to be the routing of the pipe between the merger and the side pipe.

-Travis

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
What is the actual purpose of the resonator? is it like a secondary muffler? could it be used with out a muffler and not be deafening loud?

· Registered
14 Posts
The resonator does work like a secondary muffler. It muffles a different frequency than the primary muffler. You can remove it, but you'll have a very loud exhaust system at a specific RPM. My dad's Nissan truck also has a resonator, if it's taken out, the engine sounds extremely loud from 1500-2500RPM, not not anywhere else.

· 101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,328 Posts
Side Pipes

I had that setup on my first GT back in the mid seventies and did get the horses and torque at the higher rpm, but the loud muffler will compete with your sound system not to mention the ringing in the ears. But I do find the setups that Travis and First Opel 1981 spoke of interesting. :cool:

· Registered
214 Posts
jordan said:
What is the actual purpose of the resonator? is it like a secondary muffler? could it be used with out a muffler and not be deafening loud?
I removed my stock muffler and resonator. I added a 2.25", one-in/two-out, turbo muffler, into twin resonated Monza tips. It is very quiet, and only gets a bit louder when the secondary opens.

· Opel gone bad
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pictures you, First Opel 1981, had on another thread gave me a decent look at how easy it "should" be. I do have a new head pipe that I purchased from OGTS that I might have the muffler shop use in combination with the side pipes. I do love the look of them. If I did run them to just one side and leave the other for show, that doesn't seem like a bad idea, I guess I would have the driver side as show...
I'm trying to get the most out of my 1.9, but at the same time thinking about the 2.4 upgrade in the future. If I did the 2.4 I could hook up both for more HP?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.