Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
4,912 Posts
I know the original brake booster hose is not heater hose. It seems to have metal reinforcement. That said, can I replace it with regular heater hose? The 1/2 hose I have seems pretty resistant to collapsing under the few psi of vacuum I expect. Mike
I think with the high temps under the hood and the softening of the hose there is a good chance it will still collapse. You really need a vacuum rated hose.

I guess you could try it. You really have nothing to lose as long as you are prepared to step on the brake pedal much harder to get the car to stop.

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
Yup...at high rpms with the throttle closed, expect engine vacuum to be 20-24". Certainly enough to collapse a hose not rated for vacuum.

·
Opeler
2,925 Posts
Need to search for 15/32" ID vacuum booster hose, DOT approved or 12mm braided, OEM style.
I would try NAPA Auto Parts or online.

GATES 27233 - 15/32" x 3 ft.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=99897&jsn=256

CONTITECH Vacuum Hose - 12 X 19 mm - Outside Cloth Braided 550623090
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/550623090-MFG21.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWaURUXltUuiTvv_wd4yYTTAMG5yIzg86TWmsgRDr2BLgtvbXU1_HQ9hoCK0wQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWaURUXltUuiTvv_wd4yYTTAMG5yIzg86TWmsgRDr2BLgtvbXU1_HQ9hoCK0wQAvD_BwE

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,983 Posts
I needed right angle vacuum hose in several locations on my set up and the local NAPA store let me into their back room where their heater hoses were stashed. I had 100 to choose from, from different manufacturers, so I chose the thickest and stiffest. They've worked like a charm for years and are easy to get.

·
Über Genius
8,828 Posts
In the spirit of the Lemons class....

Take 5/8" heater hose and line it with 1/2" flexible metal conduit. The heater hose creates the seal and the conduit prevents collapsing under vacuum.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recently the car developed a problem with intermittent power brakes. There have been races where we disconnected the booster. We wanted extra pedal feel for rain races. That was fine, but when the power brakes work only sometimes, never knowing when, it's really hard to get into a rhythm, to put it mildly.

I had been using heater hose for years, same hose for a while. It may have been collapsing.

I'v got the proper NAPA vacuum hose now. I've also got a vacuum canister in the car. Our vacuum come from the #2 intake only and we figured banking a little vacuum on behalf of the other three sounded like a good idea.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the spirit of the Lemons class....

Take 5/8" heater hose and line it with 1/2" flexible metal conduit. The heater hose creates the seal and the conduit prevents collapsing under vacuum.
I could maybe slide some spare aluminum fuel line inside the hose. Of course I'd have to be careful to never bend the hose enough to crimp that line.

Lemony yes, but brakes are off-budget. Not that anyone scrutinizes budgets that hard any more.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Can I use heater hose for the brake booster?

Yes you can. However, if the question were re-worded to say: "Can I SAFELY use heater hose for the brake booster?", the answer is NO.

Gordo's worked fine for him, but that is likely because preformed hoses have some reinforcement. Apparently he also found some heater hose that was resistant to hydrocarbons. Most are not. Even though it may not be exposed to a high volume of hydrocarbons, any amount is not good for most heater hose.

Why not just get the correct hose? After all this is for your BRAKES!!! You really don't want a failure there, even a slight failure. You need 12mm braided. I bought some here: OEM Braided Vacuum Hose - 42 Draft Designs

You may be able to find the wire reinforced hose, but IIRC, the 12mm was not easy to come by.

Lastly, if you want the overkill of all overkills, go by any hydraulic shop (such as a shop that makes hoses for the trucking industry. They will have some VERY stiff wire reinforced braided hose in multiple sizes, but I don't know about 12mm.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Opeler
2,925 Posts
NAPA sells low pressure hydraulic hose by the foot that works perfectly. It is stiff enough not to collapse.
Bill
H10008 Weatherhead has Nitrile cover material with reinforcement fiber braid.
That was similar to Opel OEM appearance in 2000 from NAPA Auto Parts.
:ugh: Now, that is a copy & paste tongue twister.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts