Opel GT Forum banner

481 - 500 of 516 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
The Can of Keys are on their way to "oldopeler" (Stephen Vaillancourt). The next recipient is "gtretired" (Gordon Powell).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the can of keys is a great idea--and I am hoping to get the chance to use it. But instead of keeping a key that works, I would think it would be a better idea to keep trying until I found a second key that works. If no second key in the can, get a copy of the key and return the original to the can.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,484 Posts
I fI could get on the list that would be great, I have two gas caps that need keyed.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I think the can of keys is a great idea--and I am hoping to get the chance to use it. But instead of keeping a key that works, I would think it would be a better idea to keep trying until I found a second key that works. If no second key in the can, get a copy of the key and return the original to the can.
Now that is an excellent thought:D Jarrell

·
7,484 Posts
Actually I thought the goal was to add extra keys you may have ( I have my own small collection that fits nothing I own )

And IF you find a key that fits you get a new one cut and the old one stays with the can..... If you remove it and there isnt a duplicate in the can, then that one is lost for others.

·
Super Moderator
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Wondering where the Can Of Keys is at now, I need to get on the list.
John
John
I think it is still with Steven In SD, Charles would be next on the list, then you.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
John
I think it is still with Steven In SD, Charles would be next on the list, then you.
Gene
Stephen Vaillancourt aka "oldopelguy" does indeed still have the Can of Keys, and is waiting to hear who to send it to next, and an address

·
7,484 Posts
Stephen Vaillancourt aka "oldopelguy" does indeed still have the Can of Keys, and is waiting to hear who to send it to next, and an address
13000 Ashtree Rd
Midlothian, VA 23114

:)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My blank keys came in and would like to get copies made of my gas caps and ignition/doors and add to the can o keys
I need one copy for myself for the ignition and 1 gas cap and then 1 of each to donate
Question should I find my key number and have a brand new one cut /made by Mr.Keith opelspyder or have the old one I have copied for the doors/ignition?

·
Registered
656 Posts
should I find my key number and have a brand new one cut /made by Mr.Keith opelspyder or have the old one I have copied for the doors/ignition?
If you know your key number, then Keith can look up functionally the blueprints to that key and make one new.

If you don't, you can have the key copied, but then any wear and imperfections on the key are going to be passed onto the new one, plus any copying imperfections.

The former might also keep your lock in better condition, as slightly worn keys kinda wear on the lock, I think.

Choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thank you Matt,
The 1 worn key I have is a concern which is for doors and ignition the gas cap keys appear to be new
I'll have to pull the door panel I guess to retrieve the codes and go from there

·
Opeler
3,031 Posts
Bump

·
Super Moderator
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Charles
If you have it then either send it back to me or send it on please

·
7,484 Posts
I do not have it.. I was just wondering.. I will get with Steve

·
Opeler
1,188 Posts
I dont get why people dont take a couple of days to go through the keys then send the can to the next person. Its not hard. Why hold it for months?

Karl

·
7,484 Posts
Life and times.. get in the way I assume. From what I am hearing the rule of "Find a key.. MAKE a key" isnt being a 100% followed.. >.> but we will see.. I have 3 gas caps to key and a small handful of oddball keys to add myself. I won't hold it longer than I need too.. ;) If I get it soon enough I can hand it off at Carlisle. Depending on who goes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I dont get why people dont take a couple of days to go through the keys then send the can to the next person. Its not hard. Why hold it for months?
For me, just didn't get around to it. And, the next person on the list being unresponsive and the list ending with them.

GoingManta said:
From what I am hearing the rule of "Find a key.. MAKE a key" isnt being a 100% followed..
It wasn't obvious by the instructions on the can either. It should be more clear about not just pilfering keys but to make copies of the key, that keys are not to be removed from the system.

481 - 500 of 516 Posts