Opel GT Forum banner

501 - 516 of 516 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,484 Posts
It wasn't obvious by the instructions on the can either. It should be more clear about not just pilfering keys but to make copies of the key, that keys are not to be removed from the system.
While technically true.. BUT think about it. 🤔

This is the can of keys collected by the group and with a finite number of combinations..

So if you remove the last copy of a certain key, no one else will have a copy of that key to match with their car/gas cap/etc..

Also the OLD key makes a better copy than a NEW copy of a copy..

So... it should kind of go without saying... :cautious:

Make a copy of the key and then put the key back into the can. If that wasn't clear.. then hopefully I have cleared that up for future users.

Just sayin.. ;)

As for the people... Once I knew Steve was the one sandbagging the can-o-keys.. I FB Messaged him.. and should have it shortly. I will try to turn around with my spare keys in it and hopefully have my gas caps keyed.

·
Opeler
1,188 Posts
For me, just didn't get around to it. And, the next person on the list being unresponsive and the list ending with them.

It wasn't obvious by the instructions on the can either. It should be more clear about not just pilfering keys but to make copies of the key, that keys are not to be removed from the system.
If next person is unresponsive then they go back to Gene. Right?

Karl

·
7,484 Posts
Who is next ?

Did a bit of housecleaning and incorporated Stephens and my additions.

The "Opel Key" chain are odd balls. Possibly Rekords, Gray Markets, Kadett A, etc..

Note hunters of Gas Cap Keys.. the Round Headed and OP-19 are the keys that fit.. you can ignore the others...

Reactions: opelgtguy

·
Opeler
1,066 Posts
Who is next ?

View attachment 429017

Did a bit of housecleaning and incorporated Stephens and my additions.

The "Opel Key" chain are odd balls. Possibly Rekords, Gray Markets, Kadett A, etc..

Note hunters of Gas Cap Keys.. the Round Headed and OP-19 are the keys that fit.. you can ignore the others...
I’d like to find a key for my gas cap. So, unless someone else needs them ASAP, I’ll take a run at the can and see what I can find.
Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
Eric
PM Charles with your name and address and it will keep things moving.

Charles
Please send the Can of Keys onto Eric when you get his info

Looks like the Can needs a new Can......

·
7,484 Posts
Eric
PM Charles with your name and address and it will keep things moving.

Charles
Please send the Can of Keys onto Eric when you get his info

Looks like the Can needs a new Can......
Actually Can is dented, but holding up well. The recent additions of keys made things tight.

But my reorganizing opened a good bit of room in the can.

BTW we got a lot of combinations.. but didnt find a key for my caps.

I will get the can sent out this week.

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Opeler
1,066 Posts
I have the keys, and found a match for my gas cap! I was afraid it was seized or non-functional, but I found a key to make it happen. Of course, I didn’t have a blank in that style, so I’ve got one on order. Once I get it and get the key copied, I’ll reach out to get details on where it’s going next.

·
Opeler
1,066 Posts
The “can of keys” is shipping out to the next person tomorrow. I have included a few key blanks and a paper from OGTS that shows what each key type looks like for easier identification.

I’m thrilled to have a fully functioning gas cap now and it wouldn’t have been possible with out this awesome forum & the “can of keys.”

Good luck to the next person!

Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found the two I needed and had copies made. Looking to see who may be next of if they should be sent back to the address in the can?
And can anyone offer a way to get a cap to release when unlocked im sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Opeler
1,066 Posts
I found the two I needed and had copies made. Looking to see who may be next of if they should be sent back to the address in the can?
And can anyone offer a way to get a cap to release when unlocked im sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
What do you mean by “get a cap to release when unlocked”?
When the cap is unlocked, it should function just like normal. When “locked” it will spin freely in circles when on the car.
Here’s a video I found helpful.
If this doesn’t answer what you are asking, let us know.
Eric

501 - 516 of 516 Posts